- University of Michigan School of Public Health, Master of Public Health in Health Management and Policy, 2013
- University of Michigan, B.S., 2009
Marisa is a senior advisor with Vorys Health Care Advisors (VHCA). VHCA helps health care providers, business decision makers, professional associations and other stakeholders deal with the challenges of a complex, rapidly changing state and federal health care environment.
Marisa has significant experience in public policy and advocacy. She has worked in numerous areas of health policy, including:
- Implementation of the Affordable Care Act
- State-based health reform, including Ohio’s State Innovation Model (SIM) initiatives
- Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (CMMI) grants
- Patient centered medical homes
- Population health planning
- Value-based reimbursement
- Accountable care organizations and clinical integration networks
- General Medicaid reimbursement issues, including in a managed care environment
- Medicaid compliance
- Behavioral health
- Developmental disabilities, including home and community based settings (HCBS) requirements
- Medical education
- Public health policy, including issues pertaining to tobacco, immunizations, and opioid and other drug use
- Telehealth and telemedicine
- Clinical guidelines
- Medical device regulatory affairs, including work with the Food and Drug Administration
Marisa is a skilled facilitator and has experience with strategic planning. She has given numerous presentations to a wide variety of audiences, monitored and reported on legislative and regulatory affairs and authored advocacy documents on behalf of a broad range of organizations. She also has experience conducting policy research and analysis and drafted a research study on primary care reimbursement increases that was cited by The New York Times.
Prior to joining VHCA, Marisa was manager of advocacy and policy for the Ohio State Medical Association. She also taught a graduate course at the University of Michigan on integrating disciplines of public health. In addition, Marisa worked as policy research fellow for the American Heart Association and as an associate regulatory affairs specialist for a medical device manufacturing company.
Marisa received her M.P.H. and her B.S. from the University of Michigan.
Marisa is not licensed to practice law in any state and does not provide legal services.
Professional and Community Activities
- Prevent Blindness Ohio. Board of Directors, Member, May 2015 – present
- Franklinton Gardens, Volunteer Feb 2014 – present; Strategic Planning Consultant, Feb. 2014 – Aug. 2014
- The Art of Hosting Conversations that Matter, Art of Participatory Leadership and Social Collaboration Training Graduate, Nov. 2013
- 10/3/2016A proposed initiated statute to change state prescription drug purchasing in Ohio would be difficult if not impossible to implement, according to a new report issued by Ohio public health policy experts.