Mr. Webner is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office. His litigation practice is broad and national in scope. During his career at Vorys, Mr. Webner has defended clients in dozens of class action lawsuits raising issues arising from computer data breaches, employment practices, the payment of claims by employee benefit plans, securities offerings, and the operations of large industrial facilities, among many others. He also has represented the interests of defendants in individual actions brought under various federal and state employment statutes, federal and state securities laws, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA), the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), and the common law.
A former journalist, Mr. Webner has developed a practice that includes a significant focus on written and appellate advocacy, including briefing four appeals to the United States Supreme Court, and defense and prosecution of appeals to the Supreme Court of Ohio and numerous federal and state appellate courts.
Career highlights include:
- Defending dozens of putative class actions, brought in courts throughout the nation, arising from separate computer data breach incidents
- Defending a large national insurer in multiple ERISA and state law actions involving claims payment practices following termination of hospital contracts
- Defending a large manufacturer in federal and state court actions asserting claims under federal and state employment statutes
Mr. Webner is a member of the Columbus Bar Association, the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, and the Defense Research Institute.
Mr. Webner received his J.D. magna cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center where he was Managing Editor of the Georgetown Law Journal. He received his B.A. from The Ohio State University, where he was Editor of the Ohio State Lantern.
Mr. Webner clerked for The Honorable Oliver Gasch on the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
Professional and Community Activities
- Central Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, Past President
- Ohioana Library Association, Board of Trustees, Past President, Current Member
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2008-2010
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2013
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 54 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2010 Ohio Super Lawyers
- 70 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2009 Ohio Super Lawyers
- "Avoiding Liability when Employees Leave to Perform Military Duty,” Vorys Employment Law Bulletin, 2004 (No. 4)
- "The Intersession Pocket Veto and the Executive-Legislative Balance of Powers,” Georgetown Law Journal, 1985 (73 Geo. L.J. 1185)
- “The Fact-Opinion Distinction in First Amendment Libel Law: The Need For a Bright-Line Rule,” Georgetown Law Journal, 1984 (72 Geo. L.J. 1817)