- Information Technology, Privacy, New Media, and Advertising
- Labor and Employment
- Appellate Practice
- Business and Commercial
- Class Actions
- Constitutional Law and Media
- Corporate Takeovers and Changes of Control
- Data Privacy and Information Security
- Employment Litigation
- ERISA and Employee Benefits
- Insurance and Insurance Coverage
- Intellectual Property
- Securities, Shareholder Disputes, and Corporate Governance
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D. 1985, magna cum laude
- Georgetown Law Journal, Managing Editor, 1984-1985
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 1980
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- The Honorable Oliver Gasch, United States District Court for the District of Columbia, 1985-1986.
Bob is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office. His litigation practice is broad and national in scope. During his career at Vorys, Bob has defended clients in dozens of class action lawsuits raising issues arising from computer data breaches, employment practices, the payment of claims by employee benefit plans, securities offerings and the operations of large industrial facilities, among many others. He also has represented the interests of defendants in individual actions brought under various federal and state employment statutes, federal and state securities laws, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA), the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), and the common law.
A former journalist, Bob has developed a practice that includes a significant focus on written and appellate advocacy, including briefing four appeals to the United States Supreme Court, and defense and prosecution of appeals to the Supreme Court of Ohio and numerous federal and state appellate courts.
Career highlights include:
- Defending dozens of putative class actions, brought in courts throughout the nation, arising from separate computer data breach incidents
- Defending a large national insurer in multiple ERISA and state law actions involving claims payment practices following termination of hospital contracts
- Defending a large manufacturer in federal and state court actions asserting claims under federal and state employment statutes
Bob is a member of the Columbus Bar Association, the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys and the Defense Research Institute.
Bob received his J.D. magna cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center, where he was managing editor of the Georgetown Law Journal. He received his B.A. from The Ohio State University, where he was editor of the Ohio State Lantern.
Bob clerked for The Honorable Oliver Gasch on the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
Professional and Community Activities
- Central Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, Past President
- Ohioana Library Association, Board of Trustees, Past President, Current Member
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2008-2010
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 4/22/2014Vorys attorneys Dan Balmert and Robert Webner were speakers at the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys 73rd Annual Meeting on April 22, 2014.