Mr. Vannatta is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the tax group. He practices in the area of estate planning, with an emphasis on estate, gift, and generation-skipping transfer tax savings, estate and trust administration, and probate law. He has considerable experience in drafting and formulating estate plans and is actively involved in all aspects of estate administration for individuals and families. Mr. Vannatta also has extensive experience advising tax-exempt organizations.
Mr. Vannatta is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Mr. Vannatta has lectured on a variety of estate and trust topics, including charitable giving and the fundamentals of estate planning, for the Cincinnati Bar Association, the Columbus Tax Conference, and The Ohio State University Medical Center.
Mr. Vannatta received his J.D. from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law with honors where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. He received his B.S. cum laude from Bowling Green State University.
Mr. Vannatta is a member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the Probate Law Journal of Ohio.
Professional and Community Activities
- I Know I Can, Board Member, 2001-present, President, 2010 and 2011
- The Columbus Foundation, Legal Advisory Committee, 2000-present
- The Wexner Center Foundation, Secretary and ex-officio member of the Board of Trustees, 2005-present
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Non-Profit/Charities Lawyer of the Year, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates, 2006-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Non-profit/Charities Law, 2007-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Tax Law, 2007-2013
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2013
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Business First, The Best Lawyers in Central Ohio, Trusts and Estates, Non-Profit/Charities Law and Tax Law, 2008-2010
- Business First, Forty Under 40, 1998
- Columbus Junior Chamber of Commerce, Outstanding Young Citizens, 1994
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 2006
- Six Vorys Attorneys Named 2013 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers
- 126 Vorys Attorneys included in the 2013 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- More than 100 Vorys Attorneys named on 2012 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- Vorys Ranked #1 Law Firm in Ohio on 2011 Best Lawyers in America® list
- Vorys ranked #1 law firm in Ohio on 2010 Best Lawyers in America® list
- Vorys Attorneys Named on 2009 Best Lawyers in America List
- Vorys named the "2008 Leading Ohio Law Firm" by Best Lawyers
- “The Ohio Bright Line Residency Test: What It Is and What It Has Become,” Probate Law Journal of Ohio, January-February 2007
- Client Alert: Have Your Cake and Eat It (Too)
- Client Alert: Estate Planning Certainty
- Creditor Claims at Death and Nonprobate Assets: Never the Two Shall Meet?
- Estate Planning Alert: Federal Gift, Estate and Generation-Skipping Transfer ("GST") Tax Changes Arising From the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization and Job Creation Act of 2010 ("TRA 2010")
- Estate Tax Alert