- Labor and Employment
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1973, cum laude
- Kenyon College, B.A., 1968, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Mr. Tait is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation practice. He has completed well over 100 jury trials in multiple jurisdictions, serving as lead counsel in cases involving products liability, discrimination, environmental law, employer intentional tort, and general business disputes. For more than three decades, Mr. Tait has represented Department of Energy contractor operated nuclear facilities, including defending various toxic tort class actions for those contractors in Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee. He has briefed and argued numerous cases before the Supreme Court of Ohio, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, and has appeared before the United States Supreme Court.
Career highlights include:
- Obtaining a defense verdict in $62 million products liability case, the longest civil trial in Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Ohio history
- Arguing before the Supreme Court of the United States in the case of Miller v. Goodyear Atomic Corp., 48 U.S. 174 (1988)
- Serving as lead counsel and successfully defending $10 billion class action in federal court in Kentucky
- Trying cases in multiple jurisdictions, including 53 counties in Ohio
Mr. Tait is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association, the American Board of Trial Advocates, the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, the Defense Research Institute, the National Foundation for Judicial Excellence, and the Department of Energy Contractor Counsel Association.
Mr. Tait is a frequent speaker on workers’ compensation, trial practice and professionalism.
Mr. Tait received his J.D. cum laude from the University of Michigan Law School and his B.A. cum laude from Kenyon College.
Professional and Community Activities
- Defense Research Institute, National Nominating Committee, 2012
- Defense Research Institute, Board of Directors, 2008-2011
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys: President, 2009-2010; President-Elect 2009; Vice-President, 2008; Treasurer, 2002-2007; Executive Council, 1991-1994, 2010-2011
- American Civil Trial Bar Roundtable, 2008-2010
- Columbus Country Club, Board of Trustees, 2007-present
- North Hanna Foundation, Trustee, 1996-2005
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants, 2012-2014
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Civil Litigation Defense, 2004-2014
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2013
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Fellow of the Ohio State Bar Foundation, 2006-Present
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation, 1990-Present
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 9/21/2012Several Vorys attorneys presented at the invitation-only Best Practices in Ohio Workers' Compensation Client Briefing on September 21.
- Summer 2008
- "The Statute of Repose - A 'Two-Edged Sword?'," Declarations (Excess/Surplus Lines Claims Administration Publication), Summer 2008
- “Is It Compensable - An Explanation of the Ohio Worker's Compensation System” (Ohio Manufacturers Association Publication)
- “Scope of Employment after Pillsbury” (Ohio Retail Merchants Publication)
- Client Alert: Vorys Helps Sterling Chemicals, Inc. Win Important Victory in Rail Injury Case