- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1978
- University of Akron, B.A., 1976; Honorary Doctor of Law, 1988
- Franklin University, Honorary Doctorate of Community Leadership, 2013
- Capital University Law School, Honorary Doctor of Laws, 1999
- University of Florida, A.A., 1973
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Evelyn Lundberg Stratton is of counsel in the Vorys Columbus office. Prior to joining Vorys, she served for 16 years as a justice on the Supreme Court of Ohio. Ms. Stratton counsels clients on variety of practice areas, including health care, litigation and appellate work. She also assists Vorys Health Care Advisors, a wholly owned subsidiary of the firm that helps health care providers, business decision makers, professional associations and other stakeholders deal with the challenges of a complex, rapidly changing state and federal health care environment.
Ms. Stratton has decades of trial and appellate experience. She spent the first nine years of her legal career as a central Ohio trial lawyer. In 1988, she became the first woman elected judge of the Franklin County Common Pleas Court. Ms. Stratton was appointed to the Ohio Supreme Court by Governor George Voinovich in 1996 and was elected by Ohio voters to three six-year terms.
Ms. Stratton is also a dedicated public servant. While serving on the Ohio Supreme Court, she formed and chaired the Supreme Court of Ohio Advisory Committee on Mental Illness & the Courts, which since its formation in 2001 has helped establish 38 mental health courts, recommended changes to Medicaid and advocated for a new Juvenile Competency Statute. Currently, she serves with Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine as co-chair of the Attorney General's Task Force on Criminal Justice and Mental Illness. Ms. Stratton has also advocated for the development of veterans’ courts, which assist returning veterans with post traumatic stress and other issues that may lead them to criminal activity. In addition, she currently serves as president of the Ohio Military and Veterans Legal Assistance Program, a non-profit which operates as Operation Legal Help Ohio (OLHO). OHLO connects veterans and military families to a statewide system of referrals to pro bono lawyers, bar associations, legal aid and law school clinics.
Ms. Stratton’s work has resulted in many honors, such as the Congressional Coalition on Adoption’s Angels Award, the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services’ Adoption Excellence Award and the Ohio State Association of Veterans’ Service Commissions Outstanding Service Award. In 2008, she received the Ellis Island Medal of Honor. Ranking among the nation's most prestigious awards, this honor pays tribute to American citizens of diverse origins for their outstanding contributions to their communities, their nation and the world. referrals to pro bono lawyers, bar associations, legal aid and law school clinics. Ms. Stratton has two awards named in her honor: the Justice Stratton Award for Court Security, which has been awarded yearly since 2004, and the Justice Evelyn Stratton CIT Champion of the Year, which has been awarded yearly since 2012.
Ms. Stratton is a member of the American, Ohio State and Columbus Bar Associations. She is also member of the Ohio State and Columbus Bar Foundations and Women Lawyers of Franklin County.
Ms. Stratton received her J.D. from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law. She earned her B.A. and an Honorary Doctor of Laws from the University of Akron. Ms. Stratton also has an Honorary Doctor of Laws from Capital University Law School and an Honorary Doctorate of Community Leadership from Franklin University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Attorney General's Task Force on Criminal Justice and Mental Illness, Co-Chair, 2012-Present
- Corporation for Supportive Housing, National Board of Trustees, 2005-2013
- National Judges’ Criminal Justice/Mental Health Leadership Initiative (JLI), 2004-Present, Co-Chair, 2004-2008
- Supreme Court of Ohio Advisory Committee on Mental Illness and the Courts, Chair, 2001-2011
- Franklin University, Criminal Justice Advisory Board, 2013-present
- Resurrecting Lives Foundation, Vice Chair, 2011-2013; Advisory Board, 2013-Present
- Veterans in the Courts Initiative, Chair, 2009-Present
- Columbus Council on World Affairs, Board of Trustees, 1990-1999; Honorary Trustee, 1999-Present
- Prevent Blindness Ohio, 1988-2003 Chairman of the Board of Trustees, 1999-2001; Honorary Trustee, 2004-Present
- Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption, Board of Trustees, 1996-2008
- Ohio Justice Alliance for Community Corrections (OJACC), Board of Trustees, 1995-Present
- Juvenile Justice Reforms I, II and III, Co-Chair, 2012-Present
- Ohio Community 4 Kids, Co-Chair, 2013-Present
- Ohio Law Enforcement Gateway (OHLEG) Advisory Group, Co-Chair, 2013
- Judges’ Leadership Initiative/American Psychiatric Foundation Task Force, 2012-Present
Honors & Awards
- National Recognitions
- Council of State Governments, Henry Toll Fellow, 2010
- International Community Corrections Association, Judicial Award, 2010
- National Ethnic Coalition Organization, Ellis Island Medal of Honor, 2008
- National Judges’ Criminal Justice/Mental Health Leadership Initiative (JLI), Special Recognition, 2008
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, Distinguished Service Award, 2004
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Adoption Excellence Award, 2001
- Congressional Coalition on Adoption, Angels in Adoption Award, 2001
- Prevent Blindness America, Award for Volunteer Leadership, 2000
- Trial Practice Awards
- American Board of Trial Advocates (Ohio Chapter), Professionalism Award, 2013
- Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, Public Service Award, 2013
- Ohio Senate, Commendation for Service, 2013
- Criminal Justice Awards
- Corporation for Supportive Housing, Champion of Supportive Housing Award, 2013
- Justice League of Ohio, Model of Justice Award, 2013
- Advisory Committee on Specialized Dockets, Ohio Supreme Court, Certificate of Recognition, 2012
- Columbus Bar Foundation, Judicial Pro Bono Award, 2012
- Ohio Association for Court Administration, Certificate of Appreciation, 2012
- Ohio Bail Agents Association, Appreciation Award, 2008
- Ohio Bailiffs and Court Officers Association, Outstanding Achievement Award, 2000; Certificate of Recognition, 2012
- Mental Health Reform Awards
- Ohio Psychological Association, Award of Excellence, 2012
- Columbus Area Inc., Mental Health Advocate Award (Government Sector), 2011
- Ohio Association of County Behavioral Health Authorities, President’s Award, 2008
- National Alliance on Mental Illness of Geauga County, Certificate of Appreciation, 2008
- Veterans Treatment Court Reform Awards
- Masonic Franklin County Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite Association, Community Service Award, 2013
- AMVETS Past State Department Commanders’ Civil Servant of the Year Award, 2013
- Ohio National Guard, Certificate of Appreciation, 2011
- Ohio State Association of Veterans’ Service Commissions, Outstanding Service Award, 2011
- Vietnam Veterans of America, Buckeye State Council, Veterans Advocacy Award, 2010; Distinguished Service Award, 2013
- The Psychiatric Society of Central Ohio, Award for Treatment Centered Courts for Veterans, 2010
- Ohio Military Reserve Association, Outstanding Service Award, 2008
- Other Recognitions
- Professional Independent Agents Association of Ohio, Industry Person of the Year, 2013
- Corporation for Supportive Housing, Supportive Housing Champion Award, 2013
- Franklin Church, Faith and Freedom Appreciation Award, 2013
- Commonwealth of Kentucky, Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels, 2010
- Ohio Bail Agents Association, Appreciation Award, 2008
- LeTourneau Stampede, Girls Goat Tying, 1st Place, 1972
- 2/4/2014Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, of counsel in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group, was a featured guest on the Center for Community Solutions’ “High on Ohio” program.
- 12/11/2013Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, of counsel in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group, was the keynote speaker at the ceremonial kickoff of the Montgomery County Veteran’s Treatment Court. Her remarks were included in two news stories.
- 11/2013Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, of counsel in the Vorys Columbus office, participated in the U.S. Rule of Law Initiative 6-day visit to Myanmar (Burma) in November 2013. As a part of the initiative, the bar association delegation of 12 lawyers visited the country to meet with Burmese legal and business contacts.
- 9/26/2013Stratton Quoted in Columbus Dispatch Story Titled “Execution of Mentally Ill is Issue for Task Force”Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, of counsel in the Vorys Columbus office who prior to joining Vorys served for 16 years as a justice on the Supreme Court of Ohio, was quoted throughout a Columbus Dispatch story about the progress of the Joint Task Force to Review the Administration of Ohio’s Death Penalty.
- 9/11/2013Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, of counsel in the Columbus office who prior to joining Vorys served for 16 years as a justice on the Supreme Court of Ohio, will serve as a co-chair of a group convened by Ohio Attorney General Mike Dewine to review the existing protocols and safeguards currently in place to prevent abuse of the Ohio Law Enforcement Gateway.
- 8/19/2013Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, of counsel of counsel in the Columbus office, was honored with The Justice League of Ohio’s Models of Justice award.
- 6/12/2013Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, of counsel of counsel in the Columbus office who prior to joining Vorys served for 16 years as a justice on the Supreme Court of Ohio, was honored by the Franklin Church of the United Brethren on June 2, 2013. She received the Faith and Freedom Appreciation Award, which recognizes individuals who have made it their priority to defend and uphold the constitutional freedoms of all citizens.
- 5/28/2013Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, of counsel in the Columbus office who prior to joining Vorys served for 16 years as a justice on the Supreme Court of Ohio, was quoted in a Columbus Dispatch story titled “Ohio excels in defusing potential tragedies.” The story focused on Ohio’s criminal-justice reform efforts aimed at helping judges and law enforcement officials better understand how to deal with offenders struggling with mental illness.
- 5/28/2013Stratton Profiled in Daily Reporter Story Titled “Treatment Courts Help Connect Veterans with Medical Services”Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, of counsel in the Columbus office who prior to joining Vorys served for 16 years as a justice on the Supreme Court of Ohio, was the focus of a Daily Reporter story on veterans treatment courts. According to the story, Stratton’s efforts were instrumental in reforming Ohio’s criminal-justice system to better assist veterans who returned home with mental illnesses and substance abuse issues.
- 5/7/2013Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, of counsel in the Vorys Columbus office, was honored by the Ohio House of Representatives on May 7, 2013. State Representative Mike Duffey, from Ohio’s 21st House District, presented Stratton with a certificate acknowledging her 16 years of service as a Justice on the Supreme Court of Ohio.
- 3/7/2013Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, of counsel in the Vorys Columbus office who served as an Ohio Supreme Court Justice for 16 years, was quoted in a Columbus Dispatch editorial on a proposed statewide police database of criminally mentally ill individuals.
- 2/21/2013Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, who prior to joining Vorys served for 16 years on the Ohio Supreme Court, received the AMVETS Past State Department Commanders’ Civil Servant of the Year Award for her work on behalf of veterans.
- 2/20/2013Stratton Quoted in Associated Press Story on Ohio Military/Veterans Legal Assistance Project Call CenterEvelyn Lundberg Stratton, of counsel in the Vorys Columbus office who also served for 16 years on the Ohio Supreme Court, was quoted in a Associated Press story entitled “Ohio center giving free legal aid to veterans, active service members is part of growing trend.”
- 2/8/2013Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, of counsel in the firm’s Columbus office who also served for 16 years on the Ohio Supreme Court, was profiled in the Winter 2013 edition of All Rise, the magazine of The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law.
- 1/15/2013Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, who most recently served for 16 years as a justice on the Supreme Court of Ohio, joined Vorys. At the firm, she will continue to pursue her passion for public service and provide strategic legal counsel to the firm's clients.
- 12/11/2013Vorys attorney Eve Stratton presented the keynote speech at the opening of the Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas Veterans Treatment Court on December 11, 2013.
- 10/22/2013Vorys attorney Eve Stratton was a presenter at the Child & Youth Behavioral Leadership Summit sponsored by the Public Children Services Association of Ohio on October 22, 2013.
- 10/17/2013Vorys attorney Eve Stratton was a speaker for Making the Connection: Veteran Civilian Healthcare Series sponsored by the Chillicothe VA Medical Center and Adena Institute for Learning on October 17, 2013.
- 10/16/2013Vorys attorney Eve Stratton was a presenter at the North Carolina District Court Judges Fall Conference on October 16, 2013.
- 10/13/2013Vorys attorney Eve Stratton was a speaker at the Judicial-Psychiatric Leadership Forum on October 13, 2013.
- 10/1/2013Vorys attorney Eve Stratton presented at the Models for Change Court Leadership Symposium: What Courts Can Do to Improve Juvenile Justice Reform on October 1-2, 2013.
- 9/28/2013Vorys attorney Eve Stratton provided welcoming remarks at the Ohio Women’s Veteran Conference on September 28, 2013.
- 9/25/2013Vorys attorney Eve Stratton presented at the Law Enforcement Leadership in Juvenile Justice Conference sponsored by MacArthur Foundation and the International Association of Chiefs of Police on September 25-26, 2014.
- 9/20/2013Vorys attorney Eve Stratton was a speaker at the American Board of Trial Advocates Fall Dinner on September 20, 2013.
- 5/17/2013Vorys attorney Eve Stratton was the keynote speaker at the Mental Health and Criminal Justice Summit presented by the National Association on Mental Illness.
- 5/9/2013Vorys attorney Eve Stratton spoke at the Many Faces of Mental Illness Conference on May 9, 2013. Her presentation was titled Veterans Mental Health/Substance Issues; What Can we Do?
- 4/4/2013The Appellate Strategies and Perspectives CLE series was created to provide attorneys interested in appellate law with practical tips and tools, an analysis of emerging trends and issues in the field, and ajudicialviewpoint on the practice. The series, which was co-sponsored by Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP and The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, included three sessions in 2013, each following a similar format.
- 10/21/2013Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, of counsel in the Vorys Columbus office, authored an op-ed for the Columbus Dispatch about the successful juvenile-justice reform efforts in Ohio.
- 3/18/2013Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, who prior to joining Vorys served for 16 years on the Ohio Supreme Court, authored an op-ed on the proposed expansion of Ohio’s Medicaid program for the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
- 2/13/2013Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, of counsel in the firm’s Columbus office who before joining Vorys served for 16 years on the Ohio Supreme Court, authored an op-ed for the Columbus Dispatch in support of Ohio Senate Bill 350. According to her op-ed, the proposed legislation would allow probate judges to order outpatient treatment for somebody who does not need a full, expensive and often unavailable hospitalization.