Mr. Smith is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and chair of the labor and employment law group. His practice focuses on all aspects of labor and employment law, including employment litigation, wrongful discharge, and wage and hour class actions. Mr. Smith has represented employers in federal and state court proceedings across the country; in administrative matters before a variety of federal and state administrative agencies; and in traditional labor relations issues. His clients include national retailers, home builders, financial institutions, and international container manufacturers.
Career highlights include:
- Successfully defending an automobile parts manufacturer in the first sexual harassment case to be tried to a jury in a federal court action following the U.S. Supreme Court’s landmark decisions in Ellerth v. Burlington Industries and Farragher v. City of Boca Raton
- Successfully defending a national industrial container manufacturer in a sex and race discrimination trial in Mobile, Alabama
- Successfully defending a national retailer in a disability discrimination trial in Wilmington, Delaware
- Successfully defending an international distributor and manufacturer of clothing in a pregnancy and national origin discrimination claim in federal district court in New York, New York
- Helping to negotiate a collective bargaining agreement for a national galvanizing manufacturer after lengthy collective bargaining discussions
- Representing retailers, manufacturers and national home builders to successful resolution of class action wage and hour claims under Federal and state law.
Mr. Smith is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Mr. Smith frequently lectures on all aspects of employment law, including sexual harassment, wage and hour laws, wrongful termination, conducting successful employment investigations, and updates on national labor relations issues.
Mr. Smith received his J.D. from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law and his B.A. from the College of Wooster where he was Phi Beta Kappa.
Professional and Community Activities
- Athletic Club of Columbus, Athletic Commission and House Committee, Board of Trustees
- Action for Children, former Board Member
- Prevent Blindness, Ohio, former Board Member
- Eagles Soccer Club, former Board Member
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management, 2012-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2012-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law, 2008-2011
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Employment and Labor, 2009, 2012-2013
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2013
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Thirty-nine Vorys Attorneys included in 2013 Chambers USA Guide
- Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 126 Vorys Attorneys included in the 2013 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- 75 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2012 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- More than 100 Vorys Attorneys named on 2012 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- Vorys Ranked #1 Law Firm in Ohio on 2011 Best Lawyers in America® list
- Smith Quoted in The Daily Reporter Article "Handling Problem Employees Requires Communication, Documentation"
- Vorys ranked #1 law firm in Ohio on 2010 Best Lawyers in America® list
- 70 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2009 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Smith and Bridgman quoted in The Daily Reporter article "Economy may be first concern for Obama, but labor-related issues follow close behind"
- Vorys Attorneys Named on 2009 Best Lawyers in America List
- Vorys named the "2008 Leading Ohio Law Firm" by Best Lawyers