- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 2007, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
The Ohio State Law Journal, Managing Editor, 2006-2007
- University of Missouri, B.A., 2004, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- The Honorable William Ray Price, Jr., Supreme Court of Missouri, 2007-2008
Ben is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the labor and employment group. He counsels clients on legal compliance and day-to-day workforce management issues, including employee discipline, accommodation, and termination decisions. Ben represents employers of all sizes before administrative agencies and in federal and state courts throughout the country. He also drafts employee handbooks, policies, and employment contracts designed to reflect employers’ unique business and legal needs.
His notable experience includes:
Successfully defending a national retailer in a pregnancy discrimination jury trial in federal court in New York
Obtaining summary judgment dismissals of employment lawsuits in a variety of federal and state courts and through arbitration
Regularly representing national retailers and manufacturers in individual and class/collective action employment litigation throughout the country
Assisting local, regional, and national employers with coordination of their disability, FMLA, and workers’ compensation obligations
Directing employment-related due diligence for company mergers and acquisitions
Drafting or consulting on amicus briefs presenting employment-related issues before the Supreme Court of Ohio and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Ben is a frequent speaker on a full range of employment law topics and has conducted training for human resources professionals and front line managers on topics including harassment prevention, union awareness, and compliance with the Family and Medical Leave Act.
Ben received his J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif and served as a managing editor of The Ohio State Law Journal. He received his B.A. magna cum laude from the University of Missouri.
Ben served as a law clerk for the Honorable William Ray Price, Jr., Supreme Court of Missouri.
Professional and Community Activities
- YWCA Human Resources Committee
- 1/3/2017Vorys announced that Michael J. Ball, Colleen M. Devanney, J.B. Lind, Natalie M. McLaughlin, Martha Brewer Motley, Adam J. Rocco, Benjamin A. Shepler and Nancy Nicole Workman have been named partners of the firm.
- 12/9/2015Vorys attorneys Angela Gibson and Ben Shepler presented a webinar titled “Gender Issues in the Workplace” hosted by the Ohio Chamber of Commerce on December 9, 2015.
- 11/19/2014Vorys attorneys Angela Gibson and Ben Shepler presented a webinar hosted by the Ohio Chamber of Commerce on November 19, 2014.
- 4/19/2017Labor and Employment Alert: Iowa and South Carolina Join the Trend in Preempting Local Wage-Hour LawsSpurred by the “Fight for $15” slogan, cities and counties throughout the United States have enacted laws to increase the minimum wage paid to employees within their jurisdictions.
- 4/6/2017On April 5, 2017, President Trump signed the congressional resolution disapproving Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s (OSHA) rule, “Clarification of Employer’s Continuing Obligation to Make and Maintain Accurate Records of Each Recordable Injury and Illness,” generally referred to as the Volks rule.
- 1/6/2017The U.S. Department of Labor’s new overtime rules would have increased the minimum salary level for most overtime pay exemptions from $455 per week to $913 per week effective December 1, 2016.