Asbestos, Silica, and Manganese
Our firm represents more than 35 clients in connection with their defense of asbestos, silica, and benzene cases in Ohio. Our lawyers have played a leading role with the courts and in the various defense groups established to litigate these cases. For example, our attorneys led efforts to have more than 30,000 asbestos cases in Cuyahoga County, Ohio administratively dismissed, and worked to achieve the administrative dismissal of approximately 900 silica cases.
Vorys lawyers also have taken a leading role in drafting and defending tort reform legislation in Ohio and throughout the country. We assisted in drafting Ohio’s asbestos reform and silica reform legislation, and our lawyers testified at legislative hearings in support of those bills. Our firm also lead the efforts to protect and uphold these statutes in the Ohio courts, including the Supreme Court of Ohio. That legislation has resulted in the administrative dismissal of more than 30,000 cases in which the plaintiffs have not been injured.
In addition, our lawyers have been involved in advising clients regarding international regulation of chemical and toxic exposures and often work with clients to develop appropriate warnings for products so that future litigation can be avoided.
Attorneys & Professionals
view list of professionals
- 3/11/2013 - Oliver Quoted in Law360 Story Entitled “Federal Asbestos Trust Bill Takes Forum-Shopping Off Table”
- 8/9/2012 - Oliver Quoted in Two Products Liability Law360 Stories
- 3/9/2012 - Oliver Quoted in LawyersUSA Article Entitled "Preemptive strike to failure-to-warn leaves lawyers leery"
- 9/19/2011 - Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview and Outlook
- 9/23/2009 - National Asbestos Litigation Conference
- 9/15/2009 - The Asbestos Litigation Conference: A Comprehensive National Overview and Outlook
- 12/20/2012 - Client Alert: Gov. Kasich Signs H.B. 380
- 12/14/2012 - Client Alert: Ohio Legislation to Increase Transparency Between Asbestos Trust Claims and Lawsuits
- 10/5/2012 - Spotlight On Steve Gold's Toxic Tort Causation Paper