Intellectual Property, Entertainment, and Technology Protection
Intellectual Property: Our clients rely on our intellectual property lawyers to guide them through complex strategic planning, sensitive negotiations, and other important details of intellectual property protection. Our attorneys have extensive experience and offer full service assistance for intellectual property issues, including those related to acquisition, protection, enforcement, and exploitation of patents, trademarks, copyrights, and industrial designs, as well as in unfair competition, trade secrets, computer law, and related matters.
- Licensing – Our attorneys have significant transactional experience and handle multimillion-dollar licensing transactions for technology, trademarks, web applications, patents, and software.
- Due Diligence/Audits – We perform complex due diligence for our dynamic mergers and acquisitions practice and audits for ongoing concerns which help our clients prioritize intellectual property strategies.
- Infringement and Anti-Counterfeiting – We have successfully challenged infringers in many different forums, using a variety of techniques. We have worked with some of the largest retailers in the country to implement anti-counterfeiting strategies and represent them in litigation involving these issues. Strategies we have assisted in implementing make use of new tools to stave off infringers and cyber squatters.
- International – Our intellectual property practice is also international. We have developed a network, over a period of 30 years, of competent, efficient intellectual property counsel who assist us throughout the world. Whether our clients are start-up businesses, companies that are just beginning to venture overseas, or multinational corporations, our intellectual property lawyers provide guidance on all aspects of domestic and international protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights, so that our clients’ intellectual property assets are positioned to provide maximum value.
Entertainment: Through our entertainment practice, we assist clients with publishing rights, music licensing, and agreements for creative work such as performance rights, revenue transfer rights, talent agreements, and releases. We also help artists and entertainers to create appropriate legal entities to protect their creative assets and advise with respect to tax matters.
Technology Protection: To ensure that our clients’ inventions and technology receive appropriate protections and meaningful commercial advantages, we offer comprehensive services that encompass the entire patent process.
Our attorneys have written and/or prosecuted patent applications in a wide array of industries and technologies, including electrical, biotechnology, chemistry, mechanical devices, hardware and software, business methods, telecommunications, Internet, medical devices, optics, semiconductors, and other areas. We also provide our clients with tactical and practical advice about the breadth of any claims for which they might obtain patent protection and counsel on how to best protect their innovations.
In these areas of practice, our clients range from individual musicians and producers to pre-eminent hospital systems to multinational manufacturers and from food product companies to national restaurant and retail chains and publishers. Our clients include Abercrombie & Fitch, Inc., Bob Evans Farms, Inc., Nationwide Children's Hospital, M/I Homes, Worthington Industries, and The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. (BNA, Inc.). We also manage IP related to the Borden and Elsie brands.
Attorneys & Professionals
view list of professionals
- 4/24/2013 - Ott Quoted in IP Law360 Story on ‘Boston Strong’ Trademark Applications
- 1/2/2013 - Vorys Elevates 13 to Partner
- 12/17/2012 - Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 4/22/2013 - Nano 2013
- 2/26/2013 - Brand-Standing – Practical Advice to Protect Your Trademarks and Brands in E-Commerce, Social Media, and Business Transactions
- 12/5/2012 - Because That’s Where the Money Is: Identifying and Protecting Your Patents, Copyrights, Trade Secrets and Other IP
- 5/20/2013 - Client Alert: "Use" of a Mark in the U.S.A.
- 1/18/2013 - Client Alert: Navigating the Transition from a First-to-Invent to a First-to-File Patent System: Implementation March 16, 2013
- 9/13/2012 - Intellectual Property Alert: Will Fashion Designs Finally be Clothed in "Copyright" Protection?