Mr. Rutz is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation practice group. His practice is focused on commercial litigation, construction litigation, products liability and architect/engineer professional liability. Mr. Rutz is a Professional Engineer and former research project manager and draws upon that training and experience in litigating disputes involving scientific and technical subject matters and coordinating the efforts of consulting and testifying experts.
Career highlights include:
- Operating as national coordinating counsel of construction claims for firm clients, including manufacturers and a major retail chain
- Obtaining dismissal of all ethics charges against an engineering company and one of its principals after an administrative hearing
- Defending and prosecuting construction disputes involving infrastructure projects (roads, bridges, railroads, water, waste water) and commercial buildings (schools, hospitals, hotels and industrial facilities)
- Defending products liability actions involving fires and explosions in electrical and mechanical equipment, furnaces and silos
- Inventing U.S. Patent Nos. 5,941,230 (principal) and 6,112,741
Mr. Rutz is a frequent lecturer on construction litigation and architect/engineer liability, and is an Adjunct Professor at Capital University Law School where he team-teaches Products Liability with Prof. Stanton G. Darling II.
Mr. Rutz received his J.D. summa cum laude from Capital University Law School where he was a member of the Order of the Curia, the Order of the Barrister, and the National Moot Court team. Mr. Rutz was also a member of the Capital University Law Review. He received his M.S from The Ohio State University, publishing his thesis on applying artificial intelligence methods to energy conservation. He received his B.S. magna cum laude from the University of Cincinnati where he was Tau Beta Pi and Pi Tau Sigma.
Mr. Rutz externed for the Honorable Alan E. Norris, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Construction Law, 2013
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2013
- American College of Trial Lawyers Medal for Excellence in Advocacy, 1997
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 126 Vorys Attorneys included in the 2013 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- Rutz quoted in Columbus Business First story on 3D animation technology
- "After the Meter: Energy Products Liability in a Deregulated Environment," Capital University Law Review, 1997 (Vol. 26 No. 2) (Noted as "worth reading" by The National Law Journal, June 15, 1998)