- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1982
- Davidson College, A.B., 1979, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
Tom is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate practice group. His practice is focused on commercial finance, including representation of borrowers and lenders in credit facilities and letters of credit. His practice also includes aircraft transactions, commercial contracts and opinion letters.
Career highlights include:
- Representing a home builder and a retail company in the negotiation of multi-bank credit facilities
- Representing various companies in the acquisition of ownership or lease interests in aircraft
- Representing asset-based lenders in numerous transactions, including those involving subordinated debt
Tom is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association and the Lawyer-Pilot Bar Association.
Tom has presented seminars on Revised Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code, letters of credit and opinion letters.
Tom received his J.D. from Harvard Law School and his A.B. magna cum laude from Davidson College where he was Phi Beta Kappa.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Lawyer of the Year, Banking Law, 2009
- The Best Lawyers in America, Equipment Finance Law, 2007-2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Banking and Finance Law, 2001-2015
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Banking, 2004-2005, 2014-2015
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2015
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1996
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- Spring 2014Jeffrey E. Smith, Anthony D. Weis and Thomas O. Ruby, partners in the Columbus office, authored this article on Issues in Participation Agreements, Continued for the Spring 2014 issue of The Bankers' Statement.