- Government Relations
- Trusts, Estates, and Wealth Transfer
- University of Florida Fredric G. Levin College of Law, LL.M., 1976
- The Ohio State University College of Law, J.D., 1972, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
Ohio State Law Journal, Editor, 1971-1972
- Wittenberg University, B.A., 1969, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
Mr. Rowland is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the tax group. He has a broad range of experience in federal income and estate tax planning as a result of representation of closely held and family-owned businesses. He has planned and negotiated the sales and acquisitions of corporate and partnership entities and planned for reorganizations, redemptions, and admissions of new members. Mr. Rowland’s practice in personal planning for business owners includes development of wills, trusts, insurance planning, grantor retained annuity trusts, qualified personal residence trusts, grantor trusts, charitable trusts and partnership structures.
Mr. Rowland also has extensive experience in the tax aspects of the oil and gas industry. He served as the chair of the Tax Committee of the Ohio Oil and Gas Association for 15 years in the 1980 – 1990’s. In recent years, this knowledge has assisted clients involved with the exploration and development of the Utica Shale formation in eastern Ohio. Mr. Rowland has assisted clients on structures that obtain capital gain rather than ordinary income, drafting of tax partnerships with developers, and personal planning for gift and estate purposes.
Career highlights include:
- Assisting a variety of family-owned companies in planning for succession ownership
- Assisting high net worth families in developing and implementing gift and estate planning strategies
Mr. Rowland is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Florida Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association and the Ohio Oil and Gas Association.
Mr. Rowland has presented at seminars on requirements for the use of private split dollar insurance agreements.
Mr. Rowland received his LL.M. from the University of Florida Fredric G. Levin College of Law. He received his J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University College of Law where he was the Editor of the Ohio State Law Journal and a member of the Order of the Coif. He received his B.A. cum laude from Wittenberg University and was a member of Pi Sigma Alpha.
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2013-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates, 2009-2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Tax Law, 1983-2015
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1985
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Tax, 2004-2006
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 7/22/2013Vorys recently advised Salt Run Capital, Inc. in connection with its sale of The Oxford Oil Company, LLC to Eclipse Resources I, LP.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 1/10/2013Vorys partner Ron Rowland participated in the Ohio Oil and Gas Association’s Tax Seminar on January 10.
- 3/18/2013Asset protection planners in Ohio will soon have one more arrow in their quivers. Effective March 27, 2013, Ohio law will permit the creation and funding of a domestic asset protection trust.
- 2/8/2013The new year has brought with it several permanent changes to the state and federal estate tax laws. These changes will have a major impact on estates and the terms of estate planning documents on a going forward basis.