Mr. Richardson is a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the litigation practice group. His practice is focused on civil litigation and white collar criminal defense work and encompasses commercial, employment, insurance, construction, accounting malpractice, and intellectual property matters. Mr. Richardson also has significant experience defending corporations and individuals in proceedings brought under the False Claims Act by the government or whistleblowers.
Career highlights include:
- Successfully representing clients in both federal and state courts at the trial and appellate levels
- Handling complex commercial matters, including defense of class actions and shareholder derivative suits
- Arguing before the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and Federal Circuit
- Prevailing in a leading case in the Sixth Circuit that defined a bank's obligations to its customers under Ohio's adoption of Article 3 of the Uniform Commercial Code
- Represented multiple defendants in one of the largest patent infringement multidistrict litigation cases in history, which involved approximately 200 defendants and a portfolio of more than fifty patents in the field of automated call center technology relating to automated attendant, automated call distribution, voice response unit, computer telephone integration and speech recognition
- Appointed on four occasions by the Kentucky Governor as a Special Justice to the Kentucky Supreme Court
Mr. Richardson is a member of the Kentucky Bar Association, the Cincinnati Bar Association, and the Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce.
Mr. Richardson has presented seminars regarding the duties of design professionals in construction cases, and the damages available to plaintiffs against architects and engineers in construction cases.
Mr. Richardson received his J.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Law, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. He was also an associate member of the University of Cincinnati Law Review as well as a member of the editorial board. Mr. Richardson received his B.A. summa cum laude from Thomas More College.
Mr. Richardson clerked for the Honorable R. Guy Cole, Jr. of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Professional and Community Activities
- Salmon P. Chase Inn of Court, Program Committee Member, 2010-Present
- Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers Fellows Committee, Board Member, 2005-Present
- Telecommunications Board of Northern Kentucky, Board Member, 2008-Present
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2013
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, General Litigation, 2005-2007, 2009, 2011-2013
- Leading Lawyer in Civil Litigation, Cincy Magazine, 2008
- Leading Lawyer in Business Litigation, Cincy Magazine, 2010-2012
- Nine Vorys Attorneys Selected As 2013 Leading Lawyers By Cincy Magazine
- Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 126 Vorys Attorneys included in the 2013 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- Nine Vorys Attorneys Selected As 2012 Leading Lawyers By Cincy Magazine
- 75 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2012 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 72 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2011 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Nine Vorys Attorneys Selected As 2010 Leading Lawyers By Cincy Magazine
- Richardson quoted in Cincinnati Enquirer article "Patent litigation lucrative, on rise"
- 22 Vorys Attorneys Named Ohio Rising Stars
- Richardson Appointed to Serve as Special Justice to Kentucky Supreme Court
- Thirty-Six Vorys Attorneys Named Ohio Rising Stars
- The Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Year in Review
- The Best Defense is a Good Offense: How to Manage Litigation in the Workplace
- “Who Is A Qualified Individual with A Disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act,” University of Cincinnati, 1995 (64 U. Cin. L. Rev. 189)
- “Due Process Requirements of Jury Charges in Capital Cases,” University of Cincinnati, 1995 (64 U. Cin. L. Rev. 755)