Ms. Richards is a retired partner in the Vorys Columbus office and was a member of the litigation practice group. She engaged primarily in business and employment litigation. Additionally, Ms. Richards' experience includes class action litigation in state and federal courts. She also worked with a national client for over 10 years, representing them in mediations and in arbitrations as part of their alternative dispute resolution program.
Career highlights include:
- Successfully representing the Ohio General Assembly in a mandamus action before the Supreme Court of Ohio
- Representing Ohio's savings and loan guarantor during a financial crisis in Ohio occasioned by the failure of one of Ohio’s largest savings and loans
- Appointment by the Federal Court as a special master overseeing the consent decree that governed the final years and closure of the old Ohio penitentiary
- Appointment as the Chair of the Board of Commissioners on Character and Fitness of the Supreme Court of Ohio
Ms. Richards is a member of the Federal Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association, and the Defense Research Institute.
Ms. Richards has spoken on a wide variety of litigation and trial practice topics, and most recently, on e-discovery, ethics for lawyers and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Ms. Richards received her J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law where she was a member of the Order of the Coif. She also was a member and the Issue Planning Editor for the Ohio State Law Journal. She received her B.A. summa cum laude from St. Mary’s College, Notre Dame.
Ms. Richards clerked for The Honorable Robert Duncan of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.
- What You and Your Clients Need to Know About the Discovery of Electronically Stored Information, Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, April 2009
- Preparing Discovery Requests for ESI, Columbus Bar Association and Paralegal Association of Central Ohio, November 2011
Honors & Awards
- Robert M. Duncan Alumni Citizenship Award, The Ohio State University Alumni Association, 2011
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Employment Law - Management Lawyer of the Year, 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2012-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Labor & Employment, 2012-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Mediation, 2012-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law, 2006-2011
- The Best Lawyers in America, Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2005-2011
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2004-2013
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Top 25 Women Columbus Area Super Lawyers, 2011
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Labor and Employment, 2007-2008
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2012
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1998
- Community Service Award, The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, 2010
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 126 Vorys Attorneys included in the 2013 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- 75 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2012 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Richards Wins Ohio State Alumni Award for Efforts to Help Underprivileged Students
- Eleven Vorys Attorneys Named 2012 “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers®
- More than 100 Vorys Attorneys named on 2012 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- 72 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2011 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Richards and Smallwood Receive Moritz College of Law Alumni Awards
- Vorys Ranked #1 Law Firm in Ohio on 2011 Best Lawyers in America® list
- 54 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2010 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Vorys ranked #1 law firm in Ohio on 2010 Best Lawyers in America® list
- "Vorys wins one for Planned Parenthood"
- 70 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2009 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Vorys Attorneys Named on 2009 Best Lawyers in America List
- 28 Vorys Attorneys Named Leading Practitioners in Ohio
- Vorys named the "2008 Leading Ohio Law Firm" by Best Lawyers
- 28 Vorys Attorneys Named Leading Lawyers for Business by Chambers USA
- Appellate Strategies and Perspectives
- Ohio Constitutional Seminar: “Shall There Be a Convention to Revise, Alter, or Amend” the Ohio Constitution?
- Emerging Trends in Appellate Practice Litigation from the Practitioners’ Perspective
- 2010 E-Discovery CLE
- Current Developments in Appellate Law on the 200th Anniversary of Judicial Review in Ohio
- Suzanne K. Richards & Nancy B. Heller, "The Ultimate Litigation Workshop: An Advanced Paralegal Seminar on Drafting Preliminary and Responsive Pleadings," February 1998 (Professional Education Systems, Inc. publication)
- Suzanne K. Richards & Nancy B. Heller, "Ohio Discovery Skills for the Paralegal," August 1993 (Professional Education Systems, Inc. publication)
- Suzanne K. Richards & Nancy B. Heller, "Ohio Discovery Skills for the Paralegal," January 1992 (Professional Education Systems, Inc. publication)
- Suzanne K. Richards & Nancy B. Heller, "Ohio Discovery, Pretrial and Trial Procedures," July 1989 (Professional Education Systems, Inc. publication)
- Suzanne K. Richards & Nancy B. Heller, "Ohio Civil Litigation Techniques: Active Roles for Legal Assistants," December 1987 (Professional Education Systems, Inc. publication)
- Client Alert: Sedona Conference® Releases Latest Commentary on Inactive Information Sources
- Client Alert: Vorys Trial Team Prevails in Medical Privacy Case
- Client Alert: Supreme Court of Ohio Rejects Triangular Veil Piercing
- Client Alert: Vorys Appellate Team Wins Supreme Court of Ohio Case Redefining Standards for Corporate Veil Piercing
- "E-Discovery Requires IT and Legal Professionals to Discover Each Other"