- Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights
- Financial Institutions
- Behavioral Health Care, Developmental Disabilities and Child Welfare
- Health Care Litigation
- Health Care Regulatory Practice
- Privacy and HIPAA Compliance/Health Information Technology
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation Litigation
- Appellate Practice
- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights Litigation
- Business and Commercial
- Consumer Lending and Lender Liability
- E-Discovery and Electronic Information Management (EIM)
- Employment Litigation
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Health Care Litigation
- Insurance and Insurance Coverage
- Internet Defamation
- Professional Liability and Discipline
- Public Records and Open Meetings
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1992, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
Ohio State Law Journal, Staff Member, 1990–1991, Managing Editor, 1991–1992
- Harvard University, B.A., 1989, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Lisa is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the health care and litigation groups. Her practice focuses on health information technology issues including: health information privacy and security under HIPAA/HITECH, state confidentiality laws and 42 C.F.R. Part 2; breach response; implementation of electronic health records; and qualification for meaningful use incentives.
She also has significant experience with state certification and licensing issues, fraud and abuse compliance counseling and litigation, NPDB reporting issues, performance improvement/peer review counseling and litigation, and medical staff governance issues.
Lisa is an editor of the blog HealtHITech Law. The blog provides interesting and pertinent analysis of a variety of issues involving health information technology (HIT), specifically developments in HIT privacy and security including HIPAA/HITECH compliance and the interplay of state privacy laws, HER implementation and use challenges, review of new HIT tools and status of health information exchanges.
She is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA) HIT practice group, a co-chair of the AHLA Electronic Health Records Affinity Group and a member of the Columbus Bar Association's Health Care Committee.
Lisa has presented seminars on numerous topics including HIPAA and HITECH, meaningful use incentives, confidentiality of medical and mental health records, mediation, expert witnesses, depositions, Ohio’s proposed adoption of mandatory reporting for pro bono work, and successfully balancing a legal career and a family.
She is a member of Vorys' Electronic Discovery and Information Governance Committee.
Lisa has significant experience in areas of health care, commercial and business litigation.
Career highlights include:
- Successfully arguing before the Supreme Court of Ohio
- Successfully arguing before the 8th and 10th District Court of Appeals of Ohio
- Significant trial and hearing experience in the United States District Courts in Ohio, Delaware and New York, the Ohio state courts and administrative agencies
- Successfully defending numerous clients in summary judgment proceedings
- Successfully mediating numerous business and commercial litigation disputes
Lisa received her J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law where she was a member of the Order of the Coif and a staff member and a Managing Editor of The Ohio State Law Journal. She received her B.A. cum laude from Harvard University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Columbus Bar Association, Board of Governors, 2011-present
- Legal Aid Society of Columbus, President, Board of Directors, 2009; Board Member, 2003-present; Programs Committee Chair, 2005-2008
- Ohio State Legal Services Association, Board of Directors, 2011
- CASA of Franklin County, Guardian Ad Litem, 1996-present
- The Bodiker Board, 2010-2011
- Junior League of Columbus, Sustainer, 2002-present; Advisory Council Chair, 2001-2002; Advisory Council, 2000-2001; Recording Secretary 1999-2000; Membership Team Vice President, 1998-1999; Provisional Co-Chair, 1997-1998; Provisional Co-Chair Elect, 1996-1997
- CBA Professional Ethics Committee, 2004-present
- CBA Homeless Project 2000-present
- Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Project, 2009-present
- Leadership Columbus, Class of 1997
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- The Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, 2015
- Heart of CASA Award, 2010
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, General Litigation, 2005-2007
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation, 2001-present
- Junior League of Columbus President’s Award, 2001-2002
- “Forty Under 40” Award, 2001
- Commitment to CASA Award, 1998 and 2001
- Columbus Jaycees Outstanding Young Citizen Award, 1998
- 11/11/2014Reisz, Canowitz Featured in Behavioral Healthcare Story Titled “Be Wary of Copy-and-Paste EHR Mistakes”Lisa Pierce Reisz and Robin Canowitz, attorneys in the Vorys Columbus office and members of the health care group, were quoted throughout a Behavioral Healthcare story on using copy and paste functionality to speed up the process of updating notes on patient electronic health records.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 5/17/2013Lisa Pierce Reisz, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was featured in Columbus Business First’s “20 People to Know in Technology.” Reisz was selected because she counsels clients on health care IT and health care privacy and security including HIPAA/HITECH, breach notification and state privacy laws.
- 5/3/2013Lisa Pierce Reisz, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the health care and litigation groups, was featured in a Columbus Business First story titled “HIPAA means business for health IT law.”
- 5/1/2013Lisa Pierce Reisz, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was quoted in a Columbus C.E.O. story titled “Insurance and Risk Management: Thwarting Thieves.” The story was about electronic medical records and medical identity theft.
- 6/13/2012Vorys’ fifth and newest blog was launched to provide interesting and pertinent analysis of a variety of issues involving health information technology (HIT). The blog, available at www.healtHITechlaw.com, will provide readers with frequent updates on developments in HIT.
- 10/2/2014Vorys attorneys Lisa Reisz, Robin Canowitz and Suzanne Scrutton presented at the Ohio Council of Behavioral Health & Family Services Providers Annual Conference on October 2, 2014.
- 9/19/2014Vorys partners Lisa Reisz and Doug Matthews presented at the OSHRM/SOHA Fall Conference on September 19, 2014.
- 6/9/2014Vorys attorneys Lisa Reisz, Jolie Havens, Michael Bronson, Victor Walton, Liam Gruzs, Linda Mendel and Matthew Albers presented at the Ohio Hospital Association’s Annual Meeting on June 9-10, 2014.
- 5/2/2014Vorys partner Lisa Pierce Reisz participated in a HIPAA presentation at the Ohio State Bar Association Annual Convention on May 2, 2014.
- 4/24/2014Vorys partners John Landolfi and Lisa Pierce Reisz presented "Data Breach Response: The Benefits of Effective Preparation" to the Central Ohio Chapter - Association of Corporate Counsel on April 24, 2014.
- 3/18/2014Vorys partner Lisa Reisz was a speaker at the Ohio Health Information Management Association 34th Annual Meeting & Tradeshow on March 18, 2014.
- 2/25/2014Vorys partner Lisa Reisz presented a webinar for the Midwest Care Alliance on February 25, 2014.
- 11/17/2013Vorys partner Lisa Pierce Reisz presented at the 2013 American College of Health Care Administrators Winter Marketplace on November 17.
- 11/7/2013Vorys partner Lisa Pierce Reisz was a speaker at the 2013 Midwest Care Alliance Annual Conference on November 7.
- 10/30/2013Vorys partner Lisa Pierce Reisz was a speaker at the Ohio Mental Health and The Law 2013 Seminar on October 30.
- 10/24/2013Vorys attorneys Robin Amicon, Liam Gruzs and Lisa Pierce Reisz will be spoke at the Academy of Senior Health Sciences 2013 Fall Conference on October 24, 2013.
- 9/11/2013Vorys partner Lisa Pierce Reisz spoke at the 2013 LeadingAge Annual Conference on September 11, 2013.
- 7/25/2013Vorys partner Lisa Pierce Reisz presented at the Ohio Mental Health & the Law 2013 Seminar on July 25. The seminar was hosted by the Health Education Network and the title of her presentation is Privacy/Confidentiality.
- 5/30/2013Lisa Pierce Reisz, a partner in the Columbus office and one of the individuals included on Columbus Business First’s “20 People to Know in Technology” list, participated in a roundtable discussion with other individuals included on the list.
- 5/21/2013Vorys attorneys Lisa Pierce Reisz and Liam Gruzs presented a webinar series to further discuss the release of the final omnibus HIPAA rule by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- 4/24/2013Vorys attorneys Benita Kahn and Lisa Pierce Reisz presented "Managing Compliance and Privacy Risks" for the Columbus Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel.
- 4/23/2013Vorys attorneys Lisa Pierce Reisz and Liam Gruzs presented a webinar on April 23 to further discuss the release of the final omnibus HIPAA rule by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- 3/19/2013Vorys attorneys Lisa Reisz and Liam Gruzs hosted a webinar to further discuss the release of the final omnibus HIPAA rule by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- 3/11/2013Several Vorys attorneys presented at the seminar, HIPAA, HITECH and Confidentially Training, on March 11, 2013. The training seminar was hosted by the Ohio Council of Behavioral Health & Family Services Providers.
- 2/7/2013On February 7, 2013, Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease hosted a webinar discussing the release of the long-awaited final omnibus HIPAA rule by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- 11/28/2012Vorys partners Lisa Pierce Reisz and David Hardymon presented at the Columbus Bar Association's Master Series: Lawyers in Literature and Cinema The Best and Worst of What Attorneys are Capable of Doing seminar.
- 9/12/2012Vorys attorney Lisa Pierce Reisz represented part of panel of health care attorneys discussing strategies for providers to ensure compliance with HIPAA and other federal and state laws when producing health records during litigation and discovery.
- 8/29/2012Vorys partner Lisa Pierce Reisz participated in the LeadingAge Ohio 2012 Annual Conference in August 29.
- 8/1/2012Vorys partner Lisa Pierce Reisz spoke at the Healthcare Provider Disputes and Litigation conference on August 1.
- 4/26/2012On April 26, Vorys and the Central Ohio Association of Corporate Counsel hosted the program, Privilege. Privacy. Preservation. Managing Risks with Electronic Communications.
- 4/18/2012Vorys partner Lisa Pierce Reisz participated in the Ohio Provider Resource Association’s 2012 Spring Conference on April 18.
- 3/26/2012Vorys partner Lisa Pierce Reisz participated in the Ohio Health Information Management Association’s Annual Meeting on March 26.
- 3/14/2012Vorys partner Lisa Pierce Reisz participated in the Akron Bar Association's Health Law Section meeting on March 14.
- 1/14/2015Earlier this week, President Obama gave a speech at the FTC laying out an agenda on privacy and data security issues, and indicating that the topic is important enough to the administration that it will be included in his upcoming State of the Union address. Generally, the initiative’s goals include tackling identity theft, protecting the privacy of student data and working toward a general privacy “bill of rights” to provide comprehensive data and privacy protections.
- 6/30/2014On June 20, Florida’s governor signed into law a replacement to its former breach notification statute, called the Florida Information Protection Act of 2014. This law is going into effect very quickly (July 1, 2014), and will be one of the most robust breach notification laws in the country. The Florida law did not necessarily break new ground, but it incorporated into one law many of the recent trends that have been passed in other states.
- 4/18/2014Client Alert: Federal Court Rules That Zip Code Alone is Not an Address Under D.C. Credit Card Transaction LawFifteen states and the District of Columbia have laws that restrict the collection of personal identification information at the point of sale when payment is made by a credit card. Retailers received good news recently from the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia in Hancock v. Urban Outfitters.
- 2014Lisa Pierce Reisz, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the health care group, authored a portion of the first edition of the American Health Lawyers Association’s HIPAA/HITECH Resource Guide.
- 9/18/2013Lisa Pierce Reisz, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, and Brian Donato, the firm’s chief information officer, co-authored an article for the September 2013 edition of Peer-To-Peer titled “In Their Hands and in the Cloud: Managing Mobile Risks.”
- 8/27/2013Lisa Pierce Reisz, a partner in the Columbus office, authored this article outlining the reasons why financial institutions may not be immune from HIPAA liability for the Summer 2013 issue of The Bankers' Statement
- 8/5/2013Lisa Pierce Reisz, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the health care group, authored an article for Communications Professional Resources Online (CommPRO.biz). In the article, she provides an overview of the information that public relations professionals need to know about the latest HIPAA breach notification rules, which become law in September 2013.
- 5/13/2013Lisa Pierce Reisz, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, and Stephanie Angeloni, an associate in the Vorys Akron office, authored an article about HIPAA compliance for the May 13, 2013 edition of Crain’s Cleveland Business.
- 1/18/2013On January 17, 2013, HHS announced the release of the long-awaited final omnibus HIPAA rule. According to HHS Office for Civil Rights Director Leon Rodriguez, "This final omnibus rule marks the most sweeping changes to the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules since they were first implemented. ..."
- October 2009
- April 2009
- August 2004
- November 2002