Service to the Bar
Vorys has a rich tradition of attorney service in local, state, and national bar associations and other organizations that are the voice of the legal community. Our lawyers have served as presidents of the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association, as chairs of American Bar Association practice committees, as members of the committees charged with evaluating nominees for federal judgeships, and as members of the Board that assesses the character and fitness of applicants for admission to the Ohio bar.
We are proud that both the first African-American president and the first female president of the Columbus Bar Association are partners in our firm. Our attorneys also were instrumental in the creation, in 2006, of the Asian-Pacific American Bar Association of Central Ohio, an affiliate of the National Asian-Pacific American Bar Association.
We encourage our lawyers to participate in bar association activities because we believe that such activities are important to our profession and to the communities in which we practice. In addition, we believe that such activities allow our attorneys to exercise their leadership skills, to enhance the depth and breadth of their substantive knowledge of their practice areas, and to develop important professional relationships with fellow lawyers across the country.
In all of our offices, our attorneys are actively involved in local, state, and national bar association activities. Many of our lawyers serve on state and federal Judicial Conferences and on various court advisory committees and have served in the ABA House of Delegates. By way of example, Vorys lawyers recently have been elected or appointed to serve in the following positions:
- Chair of the Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association
- Chair-Elect, Real Property Division of the Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section of the American Bar Association
- President of the Board of Directors for the American Bankruptcy Institute
- Future president of the National Association for Defense Trial Attorneys
- Member of the Executive Council of the National Conference of Bar Presidents
- Chair of the Taxation Committee of the Ohio State Bar Association
- Chair of the Ohio Supreme Court’s Board of Commissioners on Grievances and Discipline
- Chair of the Ohio Supreme Court’s Board of Commissioners on Character and Fitness
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Northern District of Ohio Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
- President of the Northeast Ohio Chapter of the American Constitution Society for Law and Policy