- Corporate and Business Organizations
- Real Estate
- The College of William and Mary Marshall-Wythe School of Law, J.D., 1978
- Grove City College, B.A., 1975, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
Jay is of counsel in the Vorys Akron office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group. His practice centers on business counseling, real estate and finance, including extensive experience in all types of business, real estate and financing transactions, as well as tax-exempt bond financings.
Career highlights include:
- Representing businesses and non-profit corporations, sellers and buyers of real estate, lenders and borrowers, landlords and tenants, developers and contractors and governmental entities
- Sub-specialties consisting of, inter alia, condominiums, mechanics liens, private activity bonds, eminent domain and zoning matters
Jay is a member of the National Association of Bond Lawyers, the American College of Mortgage Attorneys, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Akron Bar Association and the Cleveland Bar Association.
Jay spoke on “Commercial Condominiums” at the Cleveland Bar Association’s 28th Annual Real Estate Law Institute.
Jay received his J.D. from The College of William and Mary Marshall-Wythe School of Law and his B.A. from Grove City College cum laude.
Before joining Vorys, Jay was a partner at Brouse McDowell, a business law firm, and was the chair of its real estate law practice group.
Professional and Community Activities
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys, Fellow, 2008-Present
- Humility of Mary Housing, Inc., Vice Chairman, 2013
- HMH Foundation, Secretary of the Board, 2013
- Community Improvement Corporation of Summit, Medina and Portage Counties, Trustee
- Summit County Planning Commission, 1999-2004
- InfoLine Inc., Board of Trustees, President, 1986-1987
- Akron Bar Association, Executive Committee, 1983-1986
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Akron Real Estate Law Lawyer of the Year, 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 1995-2015
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Real Estate, 2004-2015
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.