Mr. Porter is of counsel in the Vorys Akron office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group. His practice centers on business counseling, real estate and finance, including extensive experience in all types of business, real estate, and financing transactions, as well as tax-exempt bond financings.
Career highlights include:
- Representing businesses and non-profit corporations, sellers and buyers of real estate, lenders and borrowers, landlords and tenants, developers and contractors, and governmental entities
- Sub-specialties consisting of, inter alia, condominiums, mechanics liens, private activity bonds, eminent domain, and zoning matters
Mr. Porter is a member of the National Association of Bond Lawyers, the American College of Mortgage Attorneys, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Akron Bar Association, and the Cleveland Bar Association.
Mr. Porter spoke on “Commercial Condominiums” at the Cleveland Bar Association’s 28th Annual Real Estate Law Institute.
Mr. Porter received his J.D. from The College of William and Mary Marshall-Wythe School of Law and his B.A. from Grove City College cum laude.
Before joining Vorys, Mr. Porter was a partner at Brouse McDowell, a business law firm, and was the chair of its real estate law practice group.
Professional and Community Activities
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys, Fellow, 2008-Present
- Humility of Mary Housing, Inc., Vice Chairman, 2013
- HMH Foundation, Secretary of the Board, 2013
- Community Improvement Corporation of Summit, Medina and Portage Counties, Trustee
- Summit County Planning Commission, 1999-2004
- InfoLine Inc., Board of Trustees, President, 1986-1987
- Akron Bar Association, Executive Committee, 1983-1986
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Akron Real Estate Law Lawyer of the Year, 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 1995-2013
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Real Estate, 2004-2013
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 126 Vorys Attorneys included in the 2013 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- 75 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2012 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Eleven Vorys Attorneys Named 2012 “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers®
- More than 100 Vorys Attorneys named on 2012 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- 72 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2011 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Vorys Ranked #1 Law Firm in Ohio on 2011 Best Lawyers in America® list
- 54 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2010 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Vorys ranked #1 law firm in Ohio on 2010 Best Lawyers in America® list
- 70 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2009 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Vorys Attorneys Named on 2009 Best Lawyers in America List
- Akron Attorney One of Only 12 Ohio Lawyers Elected to American College of Mortgage Attorneys
- Vorys named the "2008 Leading Ohio Law Firm" by Best Lawyers
- “The A B C's of SNDA's,” Cleveland Bar Journal, September 2005