- Energy and Utilities
- Government Relations
- Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1981, M.P.A., Master of Public Administration
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1974, J.D.
- American University, Washington, District of Columbia, 1971, B.S.
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
Howard is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the energy group. He advises and represents clients on energy, utility and environmental matters, including litigation in federal and state court as well as state public service commissions, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and various permitting boards and commissions.
Career highlights include:
- Co-Director of the Midwest Energy Law & Policy Center at Capital University Law School
- Awarded the Joyce Howell Danford Adjunct Faculty Chair at Capital University Law School
- Served as Chair of the Ohio Oil and Gas Commission from 2007 to 2012, and as Commissioner from 2005 to 2007
- Joined the faculty of Capital University Law School as an Adjunct Professor in 1997, teaching courses in natural resources and energy law
- Served as Assistant Ohio Attorney General from 1977 to 1982
- Currently appointed as Special Assistant Attorney General representing state universities in matters arising from the construction, operation and licensing of power and pipeline facilities
- Served as Chair of the Natural Resources Committee of the Ohio State Bar Association 2005- 2006
- Argued the Elyria Foundry v. Public Utilities Commission case before the Ohio Supreme Court which disallowed utility fuel charges to customers who buy power in the open market
Howard is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association, the Ohio Bar Foundation, the Columbus Bar Foundation and the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation.
Howard has presented seminars on topics involving electric deregulation, utility pricing, cogeneration, alternative energy and contracting for power and fossil fuels.
Howard received his M.P.A. from Harvard University, his J.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Law and his B.A. from American University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Board of Trustees, 2006-2012
- Energy Industries of Ohio, Board of Trustees, 2005-present
- National Gas & Oil Corporation, Board of Trustees, 1992-1999
Honors & Awards
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Natural Resources and Environment, 2013-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, "Energy Lawyer of the Year" for Columbus, OH, 2011
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Energy Law, 2009-2015
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Energy and Natural Resources, 2004-2008
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 5/23/2014Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2014 edition of Chambers USA.
- 11/18/2013Petricoff Named Co-Director of Capital University Law School’s Midwest Center for Energy Law and PolicyM. Howard Petricoff, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, has been named a co-director of Capital University Law School’s newly formed Midwest Center for Energy Law and Policy.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 5/24/2013Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2013 edition of Chambers USA. Chambers USA conducts in-depth research and ranks the leading firms and attorneys in an extensive range of practice areas throughout America.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 3/7/2012Vorys environmental attorney M. Howard Petricoff achieved victory on behalf of Buckeye Wind LLC on March 6, 2012, when the Ohio Supreme Court validated an Ohio Power Siting Board decision to approve the company’s application to erect a large-scale wind farm in Champaign County.
- 11/18/2013Vorys partner Howard Petricoff was a speaker at the seminar Powering the Midwest’s Energy Future on November 18.
- 6/7/2012At the governor's request, Senate Bill 315 was introduced in the Ohio Senate on March 22, 2012. After significant revisions, Senate Bill 315 passed the Ohio Senate on May 15, 2012.