- Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Government Relations
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property, Entertainment, and Technology Protection
- Appellate Practice
- Business and Commercial
- Class Actions
- Consumer Lending and Lender Liability
- Corporate Investigations
- Corporate Takeovers and Changes of Control
- Environmental and Natural Resources
- ERISA and Employee Benefits
- False Claims Act and Qui Tam
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Health Care Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Trust and Estate Litigation
- White Collar Defense
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1972, cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Denison University, B.A., 1969, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Mr. Whitaker is a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the litigation group. He practices general litigation with an emphasis on the representation of individuals and corporations in complex civil litigation and criminal proceedings. His work has focused on qui tam and false claims litigation, patent litigation, class actions, business litigation, health care fraud and abuse, government procurement, environmental and toxic tort litigation.
Career highlights include:
- Successfully trying complex False Claims Act cases
- 40 years of trial experience in complex cases ranging from white collar criminal prosecutions to securities fraud to patent litigation to trade secret litigation and contract breaches
- Serving as Special Litigation Counsel for the Civil Division, Federal Programs Branch of the United States Department of Justice
- Successfully representing the federal government while with the United States Department of Justice, in many highly publicized actions, including the Karen Silkwood case, the Nixon tapes case, and two separate proceedings against former CIA agents
- Successfully represented client in a unanimous United States Supreme Court decision, Allison Engine Co., Inc. v. United States ex rel. Sanders, narrowing the scope of liability under the federal False Claims Act
Mr. Whitaker is a member of the American Bar Association, the District of Columbia Bar, the Ohio State Bar Association, and the Cincinnati Bar Association. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, Emeritus Master of the Bench of the Potter Stewart Inn of Court.
Mr. Whitaker is an Adjunct Professor of trial practice at the University of Cincinnati College of Law. He has taught trial practice for the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA). Mr. Whitaker has made numerous presentations on False Claims Act and qui tam litigation.
Mr. Whitaker received his J.D. cum laude from The George Washington University Law School where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. He received his B.A. magna cum laude from Denison University where he was Phi Beta Kappa.
Professional and Community Activities
- The American College of Trial Lawyers, State Committee, 2005-2009
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers since 1992
- Leading Lawyer in Business Litigation, Cincy Magazine, 2009-2012
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2006-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Personal Injury Litigation, 1987-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Business Litigation, 1987-2008
- The Best Lawyers in America, White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2006-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Criminal Defense, 1991-2008
- The Best Lawyers in America, “Bet-the-Company” Litigation, 2008-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Cincinnati Personal Injury Litigation - Lawyer of the Year, 2012
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Litigation: General Commercial, 2007-2013
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Litigation: White-Collar Crime and Government Investigations, 2004-2013
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Top 100 Super Lawyers in Ohio, 2009-2014
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Top 50 Cincinnati Area Super Lawyers, 2004-2014
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2004-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 5/24/2013Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2013 edition of Chambers USA. Chambers USA conducts in-depth research and ranks the leading firms and attorneys in an extensive range of practice areas throughout America.
- 5/7/2013Whitaker Quoted in Cincinnati Business Courier Story, “A Deeper Look at What Could Happen in Chemed's Federal Lawsuit”Glenn Whitaker, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and member of the litigation group, was quoted in a Cincinnati Business Courier story about a False Claims Act case filed against Chemed.
- 5/3/2013Glenn Whitaker, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and member of the litigation group, was quoted in a Cincinnati Enquirer story titled “U.S. accuses Chemed subsidiaries of bilking Medicare.”
- 2/1/2013Vorys announced that nine attorneys from the firm's Cincinnati office have been named “2013 Leading Lawyers” by Cincy Magazine. The Leading Lawyers survey is conducted annually by the magazine. Winners are nominated by colleagues outside their firm and chosen by a panel of their peers.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 6/7/2012Vorys announced that 35 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2012 edition of Chambers USA.
- 3/16/2012Vorys’ partners Glenn Whitaker and Michael Bronson were featured in a Cincinnati Business Courier story titled “Whistle-blowers push False Claims suits to record.”
- 2/1/2012Vorys announced that nine attorneys from the firm's Cincinnati office have been named “2012 Leading Lawyers” by Cincy Magazine.
- 1/31/2012The Vorys False Claims Act practice has been selected as a Government Contracts Practice Group of the Year by Law360. Law360 editors selected the national practice groups of the year from submissions by more than 500 law firms.
- 3/4/2013U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia Judge Thomas W. Thrash, Jr. recently granted a motion to dismiss qui tam claims from two relators who alleged that Lockheed Martin violated the False Claims Act by inflating the reported number of hours its employees worked on government contracts.
- 3/20/2012Glenn Whitaker and Whitney Gibson, attorneys in the firm’s Cincinnati office, co-authored a column titled “A Guide To Preventing False Claims Act Litigation” for Law360.