- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1965, summa sum laude, Order of the Coif
Ohio State Law Journal, Associate Editor, 1964-1965
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 1962
Bar & Court Admissions
- The Honorable Kingsley A. Taft, Chief Justice, Supreme Court of Ohio, 1965-1966
Bob is a retired partner in the Vorys Columbus office. He has over 40 years experience in several practice areas, including business and commercial law, business bankruptcies, banking, commercial real estate, creditors’ rights, construction law, workouts, mortgage and foreclosures, charitable giving, representation of non-profits, reorganizations and restructuring.
Career highlights include:
- Serving as the Firm's Managing Partner from 1994 through 2006
- Arguing the enforceability of the Ohio “due on sale” clause in the Ohio Supreme Court on behalf of a savings and loan association
- Representing The Ohio State University in a variety of matters including charitable giving, formation of affiliates, construction issues and other miscellaneous matters
- Acting as lead attorney in the $900 million sale of a thrift institution to a bank
- Involvement in various aspects of many large workouts, including a construction company, a marina, manufacturing companies, apartment projects, and underground mineral deposits
- Serving as counsel to several banks, thrift institutions, construction companies and real estate development companies
Bob is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association, a Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, The Ohio Bar Foundation and the Columbus Bar Foundation. He is also a member of the American College of Mortgage Attorneys, the Columbus Board of Realtors, the United States Trotting Association, the National Council of The Ohio State University College of Law Alumni Association, and numerous honorary support societies of The Ohio State University.
Bob has spoken at numerous seminars on law firm management and compensation, as well as on bankruptcy reorganizations, real estate work-outs, Truth in Lending, lender liability and mechanic’s liens.
Bob received his J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. In addition, he served as Associate Editor of the Ohio State Law Journal and was the 1965 Ohio State and Midwest Phi Delta Phi Graduate of the Year. He received his B.A. degree from The Ohio State University.
Bob clerked for The Honorable Kingsley A. Taft, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Ohio.
Professional and Community Activities
- Columbus Chamber of Commerce, Board Member and Counsel, 1995-2001 and 2004-2011
- Columbus Law Library Association, Board Member, President, 1968-present
- The Greater Columbus Sports Commission, Board, 2004-present
- Mid-Ohio Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Board Member, 2005-present
- Ohio Business Roundtable, 1996-2006
- The Columbus Technology Council, Board Member, 2000-2005
- Former President of The Lawyers Club of Columbus
- Board of Directors of George J. Igel & Co., Inc., 1970-present
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the American College of Mortgage Attorneys, 1984-present
- The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 1995-2012
- The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy, 1983-1994
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Banking, 2004-2011
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation, 1987-present
- Fellow of the Ohio State Bar Foundation since 1978
- Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation