- Corporate and Business Organizations
Labor and Employment
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Employment Litigation
Employment Relations, Policies, and Regulatory Practice
- Covenants Not to Compete and Trade Secrets
- Employee Discipline and Termination
- Employment Counseling
- Employment Policies and Manuals
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Management Training
- Wage and Hour/Fair Labor Standards Act
- Whistleblower Protection
- Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act ("WARN")
- Workplace Harassment, Including Sexual Harassment
- Labor/Management Relations
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1969
- John Carroll University, A.B., 1966
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Mr. Tarpy is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and the senior partner of the labor and employment group. His practice involves a full range of labor and employment matters in which he both counsels and represents clients in state and federal courts and before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and the U.S. Department of Labor. In addition, Mr. Tarpy serves as general counsel for a group of large multi-employer benefit plans which involves him in ERISA counseling and litigation. He also has a general business practice advising clients on acquisition and disposition of businesses, vendor and customer agreements, and key employee contracts.
Career highlights include:
- Serving as chief spokesman in numerous labor contract negotiations
- Serving as lead counsel in numerous NLRB elections and unfair labor practice proceedings
- Defending dozens of employment lawsuits
- Leading negotiations for the $500 million sale of a major corporation
- Successfully defending an automotive manufacturing company in a unit question case resulting in the defeat of the auto workers’ unions only formal organizing drive
Mr. Tarpy is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, and the Columbus Bar Association.
Mr. Tarpy has been the lead presenter at more than 40 seminar programs over 25 years, speaking on topics which included employment-at-will, National Labor Relations Act issues, wage and hour matters, investigation and litigation of employment discrimination questions, and investigation and compliance with the regulations of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs.
Mr. Tarpy received his J.D. from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law and his A.B. from John Carroll University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Scioto Country Club Board of Trustees, Member, 2001-2005; President, 2002
- City of Columbus Graphics Commission, Member, 1979-1982; Chairman 1981-1982
- Columbus Bar Association Legal Education Committee, Chairman, 1976-1980
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law, 2006-2011
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2012-2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management, 2012-2015
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Employment and Labor, 2004-2014
- Ohio Management Lawyers Association, Charter Member, 2003-present
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Fellow of The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers since 2000
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1991
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.