Labor and Employment
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Employment Litigation
Employment Relations, Policies, and Regulatory Practice
- Affirmative Action Programs
- Covenants Not to Compete and Trade Secrets
- Drug and Alcohol Policies and Testing
- Employee Discipline and Termination
- Employment Counseling
- Employment Policies and Manuals
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Management Training
- Wage and Hour/Fair Labor Standards Act
- Whistleblower Protection
- Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act ("WARN")
- Workplace Harassment, Including Sexual Harassment
- Workplace Technology Policies
- Labor/Management Relations
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 1984
- College of Wooster, B.A., 1980, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Mr. Smith is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and chair of the labor and employment group. His practice focuses on all aspects of labor and employment law, including employment litigation, wrongful discharge, and wage and hour class actions. Mr. Smith has represented employers in federal and state court proceedings across the country; in administrative matters before a variety of federal and state administrative agencies; and in traditional labor relations issues. His clients include national retailers, home builders, financial institutions, and international container manufacturers.
Career highlights include:
- Successfully defending an international distributor and manufacturer of clothing in a pregnancy and national origin discrimination claim in a federal district court trial in New York, New York
- Successfully defending a national retailer in a disability discrimination trial in Wilmington, Delaware
- Successfully defending a national industrial container manufacturer in a sex and race discrimination trial in Mobile, Alabama
- Successfully defending an automobile parts manufacturer in the first sexual harassment case to be tried to a jury in a federal court action following the U.S. Supreme Court’s landmark decisions in Ellerth v. Burlington Industries and Farragher v. City of Boca Raton
- Representing retailers, manufacturers, national home builders and restaurants to successful resolution of class action wage and hour claims under Federal and state law
- Helping to negotiate a collective bargaining agreement for a national galvanizing manufacturer after lengthy collective bargaining discussions
Mr. Smith is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Mr. Smith frequently lectures on all aspects of employment law, including sexual harassment, wage and hour laws, wrongful termination, conducting successful employment investigations, and updates on national labor relations issues.
Mr. Smith received his J.D. from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law and his B.A. from the College of Wooster where he was Phi Beta Kappa.
Professional and Community Activities
- President, Board of Directors, Athletic Club of Columbus
- Action for Children, former Board Member
- Prevent Blindness, Ohio, former Board Member
Honors & Awards
- Client Service All-Star, BTI, 2014
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Labor & Employment, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management, 2012-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2012-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law, 2008-2011
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Employment and Labor, 2009, 2012-2014
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2013
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 2/4/2014Andrew Smith, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and chair of the labor and employment group, was named to the 2014 BTI Client Service All-Star List. Smith was one of 49 labor and employment attorneys nationwide to be named a 2014 “Client Service All-Star.”
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 5/24/2013Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2013 edition of Chambers USA. Chambers USA conducts in-depth research and ranks the leading firms and attorneys in an extensive range of practice areas throughout America.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.