Labor and Employment
- Employment Litigation
Employment Relations, Policies, and Regulatory Practice
- Drug and Alcohol Policies and Testing
- Employee Discipline and Termination
- Employment Counseling
- Employment Policies and Manuals
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Management Training
- Whistleblower Protection
- Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act ("WARN")
- Workplace Harassment, Including Sexual Harassment
- Workplace Safety
- Capital University Law School, J.D., 1986, summa cum laude, Order of Curia
Capital University Law Review, Executive Articles Editor, 1985-1986
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 1982, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Brad is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the labor and employment practice group. He is a trial lawyer and represents a number of Ohio's largest employers in employment law matters, ranging from industrial injury to civil rights claims. All of his work relates to employment relations and his practice emphasizes the defense of disability claims. Many of his cases involve complex medical issues.
Career highlights include:
- Consistently being voted one of the Woodward-White Best Lawyers in America
- Many years as a Martindale-Hubbell AV-rated lawyer, the highest rating for professional competency and ethics
Brad is a member of the Columbus Bar Association. He is active in the Ohio Self-Insurers Association and the Central Ohio Self-Insurers Association.
Brad is a frequent lecturer at trade association and commercial seminars, including the National Federation of State Medical Boards, the Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers and the Ohio Self-Insurers Association. Topics on which he has spoken include the defense of workers' compensation claims, the defense of wrongful discharge suits and compliance with disability discrimination law.
Brad received his J.D. summa cum laude from Capital University Law School where he was Order of Curia and first in his class. He was also a member of the Capital University Law Review, and served as its executive articles editor. He received his B.A. cum laude from The Ohio State University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Franklin County Republican Party Central Committee, Chairman, 2004–present
- Ohio State Medical Board, appointed by Governor George Voinovich with consent of Senate, October, 1993-September, 1998
- Franklin County Board of Elections, 2012-present
- Kasich-Taylor for Ohio, Treasurer, 2009-present
- Past Fellow of the National Federation of State Medical Boards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Workers’ Compensation Law - Employers, 2017
- Columbus Monthly Best Lawyers in Central Ohio
- Cincinnati Magazine Top Ohio Lawyers
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Workers’ Compensation, 2017
- Cleveland Magazine Ohio Super Lawyers
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 12/2/2016Vorys is pleased to announce that 58 attorneys from the firm have been named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 12/2/2015Vorys is pleased to announce that 63 attorneys from the firm have been named 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 9/9/2016Vorys attorneys Dan Balmert, Corrine Carman, Margaret Everett, Scott Jamieson, Andrew Kaplan, Ted Mattis, Buz Minor, Brad Sinnott, Carl Smallwood, Elizabeth Smith, Ken Stump, Jerry Webbs and Rosemary Welsh were speakers at the annual Vorys Workers' Compensation Annual Client Briefing on September 9, 2016.
- 9/21/2012Several Vorys attorneys presented at the invitation-only Best Practices in Ohio Workers' Compensation Client Briefing on September 21.
- 8/2/2016Labor and Employment Alert: Workers’ Compensation Retaliation Does Not Require a Workplace Injury Under Ohio LawOhio Workers’ Compensation law prohibits employers from retaliating against employees who seek workers’ compensation benefits.
- 7/30/2014Perhaps as many as 200,000 Ohio employers are eligible to participate in a $420 million refund program but they must apply for a refund by September 22, 2014. Eligible employers have paid premium to the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation between 2001-2008, not been “group rated” during all of that time and paid their premium based on certain “manual classifications.”