- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Practice
- Business and Commercial
- Class Actions
- Consumer Lending and Lender Liability
- Corporate Investigations
- Corporate Takeovers and Changes of Control
- Eminent Domain and Real Property
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Franchise Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Professional Liability and Discipline
- Public Contracting Disputes
- Public Records and Open Meetings
- Trust and Estate Litigation
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 1984
- Amherst College, B.A., 1978, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Mr. Porter is a partner and chair of the firm’s litigation practice group. He is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and listed in Chambers and Partners, Ohio Super Lawyers and the Best Lawyers in America. He practices general civil litigation with an emphasis on representing corporations and their officers and directors in complex civil litigation, including class actions.
Career highlights include:
- Representing businesses and individuals in various actions, including class actions, in federal and state courts
- Representing corporate officers and directors in alleged breach of fiduciary duty lawsuits
- Serving as national trial counsel with respect to manufacturers' liability claims
Mr. Porter is a frequent lecturer on attorney-client privilege issues, internal investigations and on trial advocacy issues, including presentations to the Ohio State Bar Association on “How to Handle the Obstreperous Lawyer in Depositions” and “Real Evidence for Trial Attorneys.”
Mr. Porter is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, and the Columbus Bar Association.
Mr. Porter received his J.D. from Case Western Reserve University School of Law. He received his B.A. cum laude from Amherst College.
Professional and Community Activities
- Columbus Chamber of Commerce, Board of Trustees, 2011- present
- Bexley Education Foundation, Chair, Board of Trustees, 2007-2012
- Central Ohio Transit Authority, Chair, Board of Trustees, 2002-2009
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Litigation: General Commercial, 2013
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2014
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Top 50 Super Lawyers in Columbus, 2010
- Ohio Super Lawyers, General Litigation, 2008-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2006-2013
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 5/24/2013Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2013 edition of Chambers USA. Chambers USA conducts in-depth research and ranks the leading firms and attorneys in an extensive range of practice areas throughout America.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 6/7/2012Vorys announced that 35 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2012 edition of Chambers USA.
- 1/5/2012Vorys announced that William G. Porter, a partner in the firm’s Columbus office and chair of the litigation group, has been inducted into the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL). The ACTL is widely considered to be the premier professional trial organization in America.
- 11/29/2012Vorys partner Bill Porter participated in the Ohio State Bar Association’s seminar, Trial Evidence for the Ohio Practitioner, on November 29.
- 4/26/2012On April 26, Vorys and the Central Ohio Association of Corporate Counsel hosted the program, Privilege. Privacy. Preservation. Managing Risks with Electronic Communications.
- January 2004
- January 2003
- January 2002
- October 2001