Labor and Employment
- Employment Litigation
Employment Relations, Policies, and Regulatory Practice
- Affirmative Action Programs
- Covenants Not to Compete and Trade Secrets
- Drug and Alcohol Policies and Testing
- Employee Discipline and Termination
- Employment Counseling
- Employment Policies and Manuals
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Management Training
- Wage and Hour/Fair Labor Standards Act
- Whistleblower Protection
- Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act ("WARN")
- Workplace Harassment, Including Sexual Harassment
- Workplace Technology Policies
- Labor/Management Relations
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1976, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Ohio University, A.B., 1973, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Mr. Norman is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and serves as the firm’s partner in charge of operations. He is a member of the labor and employment practice group and represents employers in all aspects of labor and employment, including equal employment rights, wage and hour regulation, union relations, maintaining union-free status, strategic and policy planning, and training. Mr. Norman works with large public companies with respect to individual employment agreements, non-competition and confidentiality issues, and severance/reduction-in-force matters. He also counsels government contractors as to affirmative action requirements.
Career highlights include:
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements with numerous unions on behalf of employers in the steel, auto, glass, construction, retail, service and health care industries, and handling hundreds of labor arbitrations pursuant to these collective bargaining agreements
- Defending employers in numerous wage/hour collective actions and class action discrimination cases
- Working with large, high-profile employers in maintaining union free status
Mr. Norman is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Mr. Norman has given presentations to automotive industry suppliers concerning union organizing tactics and strategies, to hospitals concerning supervising problem employees, and to employer associations concerning Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and wage/hour developments and issues.
Mr. Norman received his J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. He received his A.B. summa cum laude from Ohio University where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Individuals, 2012-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2012-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management, 2012-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Labor & Employment, 2012-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law, 2007-2011
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Employment and Labor, 2004-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1991
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.