- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights Litigation
- Business and Commercial
- Class Actions
- Consumer Lending and Lender Liability
- Energy and Utilities Litigation
- Franchise Litigation
- Insurance and Insurance Coverage
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Securities, Shareholder Disputes, and Corporate Governance
- Trust and Estate Litigation
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 1988, Order of the Coif
University of Cincinnati Law Review, 1986-1987
- Miami University, B.S., 1985
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Bill is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and has a broad national litigation practice. His current practice focuses on complex commercial cases, products liability, franchise litigation, shareholder disputes, consumer protection and catastrophic personal injury, both defense and plaintiff. Bill defends numerous drug manufacturers in litigation involving prescription drugs and alleged catastrophic injuries related to them. Bill also has an active oil and gas practice, litigating various lease disputes. He has also briefed and argued numerous cases in Ohio Appellate Courts and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Career highlights include:
- Participation in a significant number of jury trials, bench trials and arbitrations around the country and throughout Ohio, including several that exceeded 20 trial days
- Successfully defended a consumer class action arising from alleged predatory lending practices
- Successfully represented several oil and gas producers on energy disputes, including those involving leases
- Successfully defended a consumer action alleging fraud and violation of various consumer protection statutes arising from the sale of several automobiles. A defense verdict was rendered and significant sanctions were imposed against plaintiffs and their counsel
- Successfully represented a franchisee in a dispute arising from a violation of the Ohio Business Opportunity Act. A summary judgment was entered in favor of the franchisee
- Filed numerous successful motions to dismiss on behalf of various product manufacturers on claims abrogated by the Ohio Product Liability Act
- Successfully represented a shareholder in a business divorce that resulted in a mandate from the Court of Appeals ordering that the business be dissolved
Bill has spoken on general trial practice matters, including effective trial techniques, cross-examination of medical experts and the use of electronic demonstrative evidence in the courtroom.
Bill received his J.D. from the University of Cincinnati, where he was a member of the University of Cincinnati Law Review and the Order of the Coif. He received his B.S. from Miami University.
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2013, 2015
- Ohio Super Lawyers, General Litigation, 2004-2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Personal Injury Litigation, 2003-2016
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.