- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, LL.M, 2012
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 2011
- University of Texas at Austin, B.A., 2008
Bar & Court Admissions
Nita is an associate in the Houston office and a member of the health care group. She focuses her practice on assisting clients with health care issues, including those related to fraud and abuse, HIPAA compliance and employment agreements. Nita also has experience in health care litigation.
Nita has previously worked in the legal services department of a hospital and in the Civil Medicaid Fraud Unit at the Office of the Attorney General of Texas, giving her expansive knowledge of the inner functions of the health care industry which helps her understand her clients’ needs.
Her Notable Experience Includes:
- Assisting a pharmacy client with state licensure and Medicare and Medicaid enrollment filings related to changes in ownership and control
- Representing a retail clinic client in various matters, including provider scope of practice, state licensure requirements and dispensing of controlled substances
- Aiding clients with various HIPAA and state privacy matters, including the review and drafting of business associate agreements and HIPAA training materials
- Assisting health care clients with the review and drafting of employment agreements, affiliation agreements and various services and management agreements
- Advising health care clients on health regulatory matters including state facility and laboratory licensure and Medicaid and Medicare enrollment and reimbursement matters
Nita has authored numerous articles and given several presentations on a wide variety of health care law topics including: the Affordable Care Act; health information exchanges and developments employers need to know; HIPAA and data breaches; the Physician Payments Sunshine Act (Open Payments Program); and payment systems in the health care industry.
Nita is a member of the American Bar Association’s Health Law Section, the State Bar of Texas Health Law Section and the American Health Lawyers Association. She is also a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals and is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP).
Nita received her J.D. from The University of Texas School of Law and her LL.M. in health law from Loyola University Chicago School of Law. She received a B.A. from the University of Texas.
Honors & Awards
- Texas International Law Journal, Carl H. Fulda Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of International Law, 2011
- 5/25/2017On May 24, 2017, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) and the staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT) released their analysis of the American Health Care Act (AHCA).
- 4/14/2017On April 13, 2017, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) finalized a regulation intended to stabilize the Affordable Care Act (ACA) marketplaces by creating policies beneficial to the insurance industry.
- 3/15/2017Health Care Alert: Republicans Release Plan to Replace Affordable Care Act: A Deeper Look into the ProposalOn March 6, 2017, House Republicans released the American Health Care Act (AHCA), their plan to repeal and replace the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- 3/7/2017On March 6, 2017, House Republicans released their proposed legislation (the proposal) to repeal and replace the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA).