- Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Franchising and Distribution
- Information Technology, Privacy, New Media, and Advertising
- Labor and Employment
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation Litigation
- Appellate Practice
- Business and Commercial
- Class Actions
- Corporate Investigations
- Franchise Litigation
- Health Care Litigation
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1972, cum laude
- Ohio University, B.B.A., 1969, cum laude, with Honors
Bar & Court Admissions
Mr. Canter is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group. His practice is focused on high risk/high value business litigation and related conflict counseling. He has specialized knowledge and experience in antitrust and trade regulation, business and commercial law, consumer protection, customs and international trade, health care law, litigation and appeals, non-profit and tax-exempt organizations.
Career highlights include:
- Represents seventeen major U.S. retailers in a lawsuit filed in the Southern District of New York alleging violations of U.S. antitrust laws by Visa and Mastercard
- Obtained largest jury verdict $11.6 million against City of Columbus (February, 2012)
- Representing a national trade association with respect to potential industry-wide antitrust claims
- Representing a Fortune 500 corporation in a Department of Justice merger investigation
- Representing executives targeted in Department of Justice price-fixing grand jury investigations
- Representing a major credit reporting company with respect to antitrust and contract claims adverse to other credit reporting companies
- Defending a Fortune 500 company against claims of tortious interference with contract arising in a franchise context
- Defending a multi-national corporation in a class action asserting Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) claims arising out of working conditions in supplier factories
- Prosecuting civil fraud and breach of contract claims on behalf of a multi-national corporation
- Defending a Fortune 500 company against claims of theft of trade secrets
- Defending a multi-national company in a lawsuit arising under the federal False Claims Act
- Defending a closely held corporation against claims brought by a minority shareholder
- Prosecuting antitrust claims on behalf of a short-line railroad against one of the nation's largest rail carriers
- Representing an automobile manufacturer in a Federal Trade Commission investigation of parts procurement practices
- Defending a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in federal multi-district and related state litigation concerning the pricing of prescription drugs
- Defending a major health insurance company against an association of health insurers
- Defending a Fortune 500 manufacturer in a Federal Trade Commission merger investigation
- Developing and implementing a world-wide master sourcing agreement for a multi-national corporation.
- Developing a state-wide hospital contract for Ohio's largest health insurer
Mr. Canter is a member of the American Bar Association and the Ohio State Bar Association. He is vice-chair of the Civil Litigation Committee of the Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association.
Mr. Canter lectures on antitrust, contributes to Antitrust Law Developments and has been a presenter for the Antitrust Sections of both the American Bar Association and the Ohio State Bar Association.
Mr. Canter received his J.D. cum laude from Northwestern University School of Law and his B.B.A. cum laude and with honors from the Ohio University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Columbus Jewish Federation, Board Chair, 2004-2005, 2012-present
- Columbus Jewish Foundation, Trustee, 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008
- National Society to Prevent Blindness Ohio, President, 1981-1984, 1984-present
- Wexner Center for the Arts at The Ohio State University, Trustee, May 2003-present
- Mayor’s (Columbus) Israel Business Development Committee, Chair, 2007-present
- United Jewish Communities (New York), Trustee, November 2003-November 2006
- Jewish Community Center Association (New York), Trustee, 2000-2002
- Jewish Community Center of Columbus, President, 1997-1999
- National Society to Prevent Blindness (Chicago), Trustee and Vice President, 1984-1987
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2013
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1990
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Antitrust Law Lawyer of the Year, 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Antitrust Law, 2006-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Antitrust, 2012-2014
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2004-2009
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 9/13/2013Michael Canter, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group, was quoted in a Law360 story about a hearing where opponents of a $7.25 billion antitrust settlement over Visa Inc. and MasterCard Inc.'s swipe fees deal argued before a judge about why the deal should not be approved.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 8/14/2013Ten Vorys attorneys from three offices have been named 2014 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers. Each year, only a single lawyer in each specialty in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year.”
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 2/8/2012Michael J. Canter, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was quoted in a Columbus Dispatch article about an $11.6 million verdict awarded to Inland Products. A Franklin County Common Pleas jury awarded damages to the company for a sewage backup that damaged both the business and its equipment.