- Labor and Employment
- Capital University Law School, J.D., 1976, magna cum laude, Order of the Curia
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1973, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court – Nebraska
Mr. Balmert is the managing partner of the Vorys Akron office and practices in the areas of general, commercial litigation, product litigation, employment law, and workers’ compensation. He focuses on defense of employment and product liability matters in federal and state courts in Ohio and surrounding states as well as litigation of mass tort claims involving alleged benzene and manganese exposures. He is licensed in the state and federal courts of Ohio, and is admitted to practice in the United States District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan and the United States District Court, District of Nebraska.
Career highlights include:
- Serving as Ohio counsel to a welding machine manufacturer in more than 750 product liability cases involving allegations related to welding fumes, manganese and parkinsonism
- Negotiating and securing Industrial Commission of Ohio approval of the first structured settlement of an Ohio workers’ compensation death claim
- Managing and resolving a group of over 270 asbestos-related workers’ compensation claims against an Ohio employer in state court
- Successfully trying to verdict multiple employment discrimination cases and obtaining affirmance on appeal of an employer defamation and wrongful termination claim
- Litigating to resolution multiple consumer product liability cases and workers' compensation jury matters
- Concluding multiple employer intentional tort cases involving death and/or significant, disabling and disfiguring injuries
- Achieving status as a Life Member of both the Sixth Circuit Judicial Conference and the Eighth Judicial District of Ohio
- Serving on the Advisory Committee to the United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio from 1998 to 2008 and as an Emeritus Member since 2008
Mr. Balmert is a member of the Federal Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association and the Akron Bar Association, and is a Master Bencher in the Cleveland Employment American Inn of Court.
Mr. Balmert is a frequent lecturer for both the Self-Insured Group of Ohio and The Ohio Self-Insurers Association on medical and legal issues. In 2006, he delivered a presentation at the annual meeting of the Association of Legal Administrators in Montreal, Quebec, Canada on the topic of leadership in law firm management.
Mr. Balmert received his J.D. magna cum laude from Capital University Law School where he was a member of the Order of the Curia. He received his B.A. cum laude from the University of Notre Dame.
Professional and Community Activities
- DRI Board Liaison to DRI ADR Committee 2014-present
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, President-Elect, 2013-2014; Vice President, 2012-2013; Secretary, 2010-2012; North Central Regional Chairperson, 2009-present; Executive Council, 2006-present
- American Civil Trial Bar Roundtable, Member, 2013-2014
- United Stated District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, Advisory Group Member, 1998-2008; Emeritus, 2008-present
- Defense Research Institute, Board of Directors, Member, 2013-2016
- Self-Insurers Group of Ohio, Trustee, 2003-present; President, 2010-2011
- Akron Bar Association, Board of Trustees, 2008-2011
- Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Group to U.S.D.C. N.D., Ohio, Member, 1995-1998
- Former Member, Nomination/Review Committees for Applicants to the U.S.D.C. N.D., Ohio, Federal Court Panel
- Bluecoats Incorporated, Member, 2006-present
- Old Trail School, Emeritus Trustee, 1998-present
- Fairlawn Country Club Board of Trustees, 1995-1999; President, 1997-1998
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Cleveland Chapter, Board of Trustees, Chairman, 1994
- Susan G. Komen Foundation; Northeast Ohio "Pink Tie Guy", 2011-2013
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the Akron Bar Foundation since 2004
- Fellow of the Ohio State Bar Foundation since 2007
- The Best Lawyers in America, Akron Workers' Compensation Law - Employers Lawyer of the Year, 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Workers' Compensation Law, 1995-2014
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Top 100 Super Lawyers in Ohio, 2009
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Employment and Labor, 2004-2014
- Inside Business, Northeastern Ohio's Leading Lawyers, 2001-2012
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated, 1998 - Present
- Akron Life and Leisure, Top Lawyers in Greater Akron 2007-2012
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 11/8/2013F. Daniel Balmert, the managing partner of the Vorys Akron office, was quoted in an Akron Legal News story about the ongoing national debate over the three-year classroom education requirements associated with a law school education.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 8/14/2013Ten Vorys attorneys from three offices have been named 2014 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers. Each year, only a single lawyer in each specialty in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year.”
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/14/2012F. Daniel Balmert, the managing partner of the firm’s Akron office, was quoted in an Akron Legal News story titled “Program designed to shed light on the realities of a legal career.”
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 5/9/2012F. Daniel (Dan) Balmert, the managing partner of the Vorys Akron office, was elected to serve as the vice president of the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys (ADTA). Balmert has served on ADTA’s executive council since 2006, most recently as its secretary.
- 4/22/2014Vorys attorneys Dan Balmert and Robert Webner were speakers at the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys 73rd Annual Meeting on April 22, 2014.
- 9/27/2013Vorys partner Dan Balmert spoke at the Annual 2013 Ethics, Professionalism and Substance Abuse Update presented by the Akron Bar Association on September 27, 2013. His presentation was titled, Professionalism as We See it in 2013: Conversations With the Bench.
- 9/21/2012Vorys partner Daniel Balmert spoke at the Annual 2012 Ethics, Professionalism and Substance Abuse Update presented by the Akron Bar Association on Friday, September 21, 2012.
- 5/18/2012Vorys partner Dan Balmert participated in the Akron Bar Association’s 18th Annual Workers’ Compensation Seminar on May 18.