- Information Technology, Privacy, New Media, and Advertising
Labor and Employment
- Employment Litigation
Employment Relations, Policies, and Regulatory Practice
- Covenants Not to Compete and Trade Secrets
- Drug and Alcohol Policies and Testing
- Employee Discipline and Termination
- Employment Counseling
- Employment Policies and Manuals
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Management Training
- Wage and Hour/Fair Labor Standards Act
- Whistleblower Protection
- Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act ("WARN")
- Workplace Harassment, Including Sexual Harassment
- Workplace Technology Policies
- Workplace Safety
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
Case Western Reserve University Law Review, Member, Notes Editor
- Oberlin College, A.B.
- Harvard University, Visiting Undergraduate
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Jackie is a partner in the Vorys Columbus and Houston offices and practices primarily in the field of labor and employment law, with an additional practice in privacy issues. She is the founder and former chair of the firm's Women’s Initiative. Jackie's practice includes all aspects of employment law, including employment contracts, policy development and training, and defending administrative charges and litigation. She has conducted internal investigations for Fortune 500 companies, large universities, and employers of all sizes, and provides counsel regarding crisis management and related communication issues. Jackie helps employers coordinate their disability, ADA, FMLA and workers’ compensation matters and counsels employers regarding disability management. She also counsels companies regarding employment-related aspects of new technologies, social networking sites, and other emerging media. In addition to representing numerous retailers, Jackie also works closely with a variety of manufacturers, educational institutions, health care providers, and other employers.
Career highlights include:
- Successfully defending employers in numerous cases before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, state discrimination agencies, and in state and federal courts involving all forms of employment discrimination
- Successfully defending a large multi-state employer in a first-of-its kind same-sex sexual harassment case
- Representing the plaintiff in a major (and successful) challenge to Ohio's Medicaid reimbursement system for residential services for the mentally retarded and developmentally disabled
Jackie is a frequent speaker on the full range of employment law topics and conducts dozens of client presentations each year on topics concerning social media, sexual harassment, workplace privacy, accommodating disabilities, and other employment law challenges. She has developed “Employment Law 101” training for both supervisory and non-supervisory personnel, and adapts her training programs to fit the specific needs of individual clients.
Jackie's recent publications include an article in the National Law Journal about lessons employers can learn from Hillary Clinton regarding the potential dangers of using a single email account for both work and personal messages. She also authored an article for Law360 on who “owns” a company’s likes, posts, pages and tweets. Jackie’s other publications include an article in Texas Lawyer about a recent NLRB finding on confidentiality clauses and its implications for employee privacy. In addition, Jackie authored an op-ed in the Houston Chronicle and an article in Employment Law360 about legislation prohibiting employers from asking employees and job seekers for passwords to their social media accounts.
Jackie is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Texas Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association and the Houston Bar Association.
Jackie received her J.D. from Case Western Reserve University School of Law magna cum laude where she was a member of the Order of the Coif and was a member and notes editor for the Case Western Reserve University Law Review. She received her B.A. from Oberlin College.
Professional and Community Activities
- Houston Grand Opera, Trustee
- Girls, Inc of Greater Houston, Advisory Board Member; Luncheon Co-Chair, 2015
- Phillips Exeter Academy, Class Agent
- Planned Parenthood Affiliates of Ohio PAC, Treasurer, 1997-2014
- Columbus Speech and Hearing Center Board of Directors, 2001-2010
- Friends of the Homeless Board of Directors, 1997–2006
- Southeast Mental Health Board of Directors, 2006-2008
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2012-2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management, 2013-2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Individuals, 2013-2016
- Ohio Lawyers Weekly Lawyers of the Year Award, 2003
- 9/11/2015Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the labor and employment group, was a featured guest on Houston Public Media’s Bauer Business Focus program.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 7/30/2015Ford Quoted in Houston Chronicle Story Titled “Labor Department Takes Harder Line on Classifying Workers”Jackie Ford, a partner in the Houston and Columbus offices, was quoted in a Houston Chronicle story titled “Labor Department Takes Harder Line on Classifying Workers.”
- 5/28/2015Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the labor and employment group, was quoted in a Houston Chronicle story titled “Job Security When Disaster Hits.”
- 4/27/2015Ford Quoted in Akron Legal News Story Titled “Battle Over New Overtime Pay Regulations for Direct Care Workers Continues”Jackie Ford, a partner in the firm’s labor and employment group, was quoted in an Akron Legal News story titled “Battle Over New Overtime Pay Regulations for Direct Care Workers Continues.”
- 3/5/2015Ford Quoted in Computer World Story Titled “Clinton's Shadow IT Would Not Have Passed Private Sector Muster”Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Houston and Columbus offices and a member of the labor and employment group, was quoted in a Computer World story regarding Hillary Clinton’s use of private email while serving as the Secretary of State.
- 2/24/2015Ford Quoted in Columbus C.E.O. Story Titled "How Businesses Can Avoid Legal Risks of Utilizing Social Media"Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Columbus and Houston offices, was quoted in a Columbus C.E.O. story titled “How Businesses Can Avoid Legal Risks of Utilizing Social Media.”
- 12/18/2014Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Houston and Columbus offices, was quoted in a SHRM (Society for Human Resource Management) story titled “Unlimited Paid Time Off: A Good or Bad Idea?"
- 11/6/2014Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Houston and Columbus offices, was quoted in a Houston Chronicle story titled “Wage Data is Getting Out into the Open.”
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 7/21/2014Ford Quoted in Houston Business Journal Story Titled “How the Hobby Lobby Verdict Affects your Office”Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the labor and employment group, was quoted throughout a Houston Business Journal story about recent statement issued by the Department of Labor.
- 6/24/2014Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Houston and Columbus offices and a member of the labor and employment group, was quoted in a JCK Magazine story about policies that Jewelers can put into place to avoid discrimination claims.
- 3/31/2014Jackie Ford, a partner in the Columbus and Houston offices and a member of the labor and employment group, spoke with News 92FM Houston about a recent decison from an NLRB regional director.
- 3/19/2014Ford Talks with Good Day Columbus About What Employers Need to Know About March Madness in the WorkplaceJackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Columbus and Houston offices, was a guest on Good Day Columbus. During the show, she discussed things that employers need to keep in mind during March Madness basketball season.
- 10/4/2013Jackie Ford and Ari Zytcer, attorneys in the Vorys Columbus office, were quoted in a Columbus Business First story about strategies that small businesses can use to reduce the risk of a lawsuit.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 4/4/2013Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Columbus and Houston offices, was interviewed by Houston News 92FM about the things employers can learn from the firing of the Rutgers’ basketball coach.
- 2/22/2013Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Columbus and Houston offices, spoke with News 92FM Houston about Texas Governor Rick Perry’s efforts to entice California jobs to Texas.
- 12/13/2012Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Columbus and Houston offices, spoke with 92FM Houston about the right-to-work legislation recently signed into law by Michigan Governor Rick Snyder.
- 12/6/2012Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Houston and Columbus offices, was quoted in a PR News story titled “Just Like Petraeus, PR Pros Must Deliver the Right E-Mails at the Right Time.”
- 11/16/2012Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Houston and Columbus offices, participated in an interview with News 92FM Houston about the proper use of electronic communication in and out of the workplace.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 7/11/2012Jackie Ford, a partner in the labor and employment group in the Vorys Columbus office, appeared on the Ohio News Network’s Ohio Means Business television show to discuss social media policies for employers.
- 5/29/2012Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was quoted throughout a Chillicothe Gazette story regarding proposed Ohio legislation that would prevent an employer from asking for access to an employee and/or potential employee’s social media accounts.
- 3/14/2012Ford Featured in Columbus Business First Story About March Madness' Impact on Workplace ProductivityJackie Ford, a partner in the firm’s Columbus office, was featured in a Columbus Business First story regarding workplace computer use policies and NCAA basketball tournament viewing.
- 10/16/2015Vorys Partner Jackie Ford will be a speaker at the 23rd Annual Texas Minority Counsel Program on October 16, 2015.
- 10/1/2015Vorys attorneys Jackie Ford and Monica Oathout were speakers at the 2015 American Petroleum Labor Lawyers Association Annual Meeting on October 1, 2015.
- 9/30/2015Vorys Partner Jackie Ford was a speaker at the Association of Corporate Counsel Houston Chapter Meeting on September 30, 2015.
- 9/8/2015Vorys Partner Jackie Ford presented a CLE titled “Employee Privacy – Or the Lack of It – In the Digital Age” hosted by the Association of Corporate Counsel Houston Chapter on September 8, 2015.
- 9/6/2015Vorys Partner Jackie Ford was a speaker at the Houston United Way Non-profit Law Seminar on October 6, 2015.
- 4/24/2014Vorys partners Ronald A. "Rocky" Robins and Jackie Ford presented "Crisis Preparedness for In-House Counsel" to the Central Ohio Chapter - Association of Corporate Counsel on April 24, 2014.
- 10/9/20122012 OAPCS 6th Annual State Conference: “Crisis Management: Tips and tactics for Navigating Tumultuous Times”Vorys attorneys Elizabeth Smith, Jackie Ford, Martha Brewer and Christopher Ingram spoke at the Ohio Alliance for Public Charter Schools 6th Annual Conference on October 9-10.
- 4/26/2012On April 26, Vorys and the Central Ohio Association of Corporate Counsel hosted the program, Privilege. Privacy. Preservation. Managing Risks with Electronic Communications.
- 7/2/2015Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the labor and employment group, authored an article titled “Same-Sex Marriage Decision a Win for Employers?” for Texas Lawyer.
- 5/14/2015Jackie Ford, partner in the Vorys Houston and Columbus offices, authored an article for Law360 on whether traditional definitions of property and ownership include social media accounts.
- 4/13/2015Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Houston and Columbus offices, authored an article for the National Law Journal titled “What Clinton's Email Troubles Can Teach Employers.”
- 4/8/2015The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) recently announced the results of a 2014 enforcement initiative that focused on the oil and gas industry in New Mexico and west Texas. According to the DOL, it recovered more than $1.3 million owed to some 1,300 employees as a result of this investigation. This is not the first DOL foray into wage-and-hour practices within the oil and gas industry. In December 2014, the DOL announced that employers engaged in natural gas extraction in the Marcellus Shale region of Pennsylvania and West Virginia agreed to pay $4,498,547 in back wages to 5,310 employees.
- 3/30/2015Underscoring a national trend, Virginia joined 18 states (Arkansas, California, Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, and Wisconsin) limiting employer access to the social media accounts of job applicants and employees.
- 10/17/2014One person with Ebola, technically known as the Ebola hemorrhagic virus, and sometimes called the Ebola Virus Disease, has died in the United States. Two others, health care workers who treated the first patient, have been diagnosed with the illness.
- 7/7/2014Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Houston and Columbus offices, authored an article for Texas Lawyer titled “NLRB, Fifth Circuit Sacrifice Employee Privacy for Speculation.” The article was about the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit's decision to uphold the National Labor Relations Board finding in Flex Frac Logistics v. NLRB.
- 5/13/2014Jackie Ford, partner in the Vorys Houston and Columbus offices, authored an article for Privacy Law360 about privacy rights of individuals engaged in a private communication. In the article, Ford uses the Donald Sterling story as a vehicle for analyzing what forms of private communication are and are not legally protected.
- 3/14/2014Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Houston and Columbus offices, authored an article for the Houston Business Journal about new law in Texas that attempts to balance employers’ liability concerns with society’s interest in getting criminals out of crime and into legitimate employment.
- 10/23/2013Jackie Ford, partner in the Vorys Houston and Columbus offices, authored an article for Employment Law360 about policies employers should have in place regarding regarding online reviews.
- 7/11/2013Jackie Ford, partner in the Vorys Houston and Columbus offices, authored an article for Employment Law360 about laws being passed by some state legislatures that ban employers from asking employees and/or job applicants for social media passwords.
- 7/2013Our July issue of the Vorys Shale Report provides an overview of how energy companies are facing specific, targeted scrutiny from the federal government on wage-and-hour issues.
- 1/25/2013Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Houston and Columbus offices, authored an op-ed for the Houston Chronicle about a proposed Texas law that would prohibit employers from asking employees and job seekers for passwords to their social media accounts
- November 2012Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Houston and Columbus offices, wrote an op-ed for the Houston Chronicle about electronic communications and user privacy issues.In the op-ed, Ford reminds readers that email communications can be easily read by an employer or subpoenaed by the government.
- 11/2/2012Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Houston and Columbus offices, authored an op-ed for the Houston Business Journal . In the op-ed, Ford says that despite the growing significance of social media in everyday communication, employers still face increasing hazards in responding to its challenges.
- August 2012Jackie Ford, a partner in the Vorys Columbus and Houston offices, authored an article for the National Association of Independent Schools Advocate. In the article, Ford discuss two electronic challenges commonly faced by independent schools: the use of electronic background checks for employees and the policing student misconduct online.
- July 2007
- December 2006
- July/August 2006
- June 2006
- February 2006
- May/June 2005