- Corporate and Business Organizations
- Financial Institutions
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation Litigation
- Appellate Practice
- Business and Commercial
- Class Actions
- Consumer Lending and Lender Liability
- Corporate Investigations
- Corporate Takeovers and Changes of Control
- Employment Litigation
- ERISA and Employee Benefits
- False Claims Act and Qui Tam
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Government Entities
Health Care Litigation
- Health Care Antitrust Litigation
- Health Care False Claims Act Actions/Civil and Criminal Investigations
- Medical Malpractice
- Privacy and Security of Health Information, HIPAA Compliance and Health Information Technology for Private and Public Providers
- Provider and Patient Rights/Medicaid Litigation
- Regulatory Compliance Challenges/Licensure and Certification
- Reimbursement, Contract, and Fraud and Abuse Litigation
- Insurance and Insurance Coverage
- Professional Liability and Discipline
- Public Contracting Disputes
- Securities, Shareholder Disputes, and Corporate Governance
- Trust and Estate Litigation
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 1984
Case Western Law Review, Articles Editor, 1984
- John Carroll University, B.A., 1980, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
Mr. O’Malley is the managing partner of the Vorys Cleveland office and a member of the litigation practice group. His practice focuses on complex business litigation. Mr. O’Malley represents public and private companies and their officers and directors in shareholder actions, fiduciary and governance matters, merger and acquisition-related claims and a wide array of commercial business disputes. He has served as lead counsel in a variety of jurisdictions in cases involving corporate, banking, securities, insurance and antitrust laws. Mr. O’Malley has also represented clients in arbitration before the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and regularly serves as lead counsel in defense of companies in class actions in federal and state courts.
Recent Experience Highlights:
- Representation of public company and its board of directors in securing dismissal of securities claims in litigation arising from merger transaction
- Representation of public company and its board of directors in breach of fiduciary duty litigation
- Representation of board of directors of a public company in connection with an internal investigation
- Representation of national bank in securing reversal of class certification order
- Representation of investment banking firm in litigation arising from merger
- Extensive class action defense practice for various national banks
Mr. O’Malley has given numerous presentations on attorney-client privilege and work product immunity, internal corporate investigations, criminalization of civil conduct, class action defense strategies, trends in medical staff relations and False Claims Act strategies.
Mr. O’Malley received his J.D. from Case Western Reserve University School of Law where he was Articles Editor of the Case Western Law Review. He received his B.A. cum laude from John Carroll University.
Professional and Community Activities
- John M. Manos Inn of Court, Master Bencher and Member of the Executive Committee
- Judicial Conference of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, Life Member
- Judicial Conference of Ohio's Eighth Appellate Judicial District, Life Member
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Cleveland Chapter, Director and Member, 2006-2012
- Case Western Reserve University Law Alumni Association, Board, 2013-present
- Leadership Cleveland, Class of 2009
Honors & Awards
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Litigation: General Commercial, 2006-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2006-2014
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Top 100 Super Lawyers in Ohio, 2009-2014
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Top 50 Super Lawyers in Cleveland, 2009-2014
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2004-2014
- Cleveland's Top Rated Lawyers, American Lawyer Media, 2012
- Inside Business, Northeastern Ohio's Leading Lawyers, 2001-2010
- The Best Lawyers in America, Business Litigation, 2001-2002
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 5/24/2013Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2013 edition of Chambers USA. Chambers USA conducts in-depth research and ranks the leading firms and attorneys in an extensive range of practice areas throughout America.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 6/7/2012Vorys announced that 35 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2012 edition of Chambers USA.