Mr. North is a retired partner in the Vorys Columbus office and was a member of the labor and employment practice group. He has broad experience in the areas of labor and employment law and litigation with an emphasis on employment discrimination and harassment, wrongful discharge, and wage and hour law. He regularly represented employers before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the National Labor Relations Board, the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, the Wage and Hour Division of the United States Department of Labor, state and local civil rights agencies, and state and federal courts, including several circuit courts of appeal and The United States Supreme Court.
Career highlights include:
- Representing a wide range of manufacturing and restaurant clients
- Serving as national labor counsel for a national restaurant chain
- Representing numerous Japanese/American employers in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, and Alabama
- Successfully defending numerous EEOC actions across the country, including class actions alleging sexual harassment and discrimination, race discrimination, and age discrimination
Mr. North is a member of the American Bar Assocation, the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Mr. North has taught employment law and related topics to Japanese lawyers in Tokyo as part of the Capital University Law School's American Legal Studies Program in Japan. He has also given presentations on sexual harassment law, the Family and Medical Leave Act, wage-hour law, and related issues to various human resources groups.
Mr. North received his J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. He received an MBA cum laude from the University of Cincinnati and his B.S.M.E. cum laude from the University of Cincinnati.
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2012
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Employment and Labor, 2008-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law, 2006-2011
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management, 2012
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 2000
- Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 126 Vorys Attorneys included in the 2013 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- 75 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2012 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- EEOC takes stand on discrimination against obesity
- More than 100 Vorys Attorneys named on 2012 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- 72 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2011 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Vorys Ranked #1 Law Firm in Ohio on 2011 Best Lawyers in America® list
- 54 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2010 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Vorys ranked #1 law firm in Ohio on 2010 Best Lawyers in America® list
- 70 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2009 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Vorys Attorneys Named on 2009 Best Lawyers in America List
- Vorys named the "2008 Leading Ohio Law Firm" by Best Lawyers