Labor and Employment
- Employment Litigation
Employment Relations, Policies, and Regulatory Practice
- Affirmative Action Programs
- Covenants Not to Compete and Trade Secrets
- Drug and Alcohol Policies and Testing
- Employee Discipline and Termination
- Employment Counseling
- Employment Policies and Manuals
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Management Training
- Wage and Hour/Fair Labor Standards Act
- Whistleblower Protection
- Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act ("WARN")
- Workplace Harassment, Including Sexual Harassment
- Workplace Technology Policies
- Labor/Management Relations
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1980, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
- University of Cincinnati, MBA, 1977, cum laude
- University of Cincinnati, B.S.M.E., 1973, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Mr. North is a retired partner in the Vorys Columbus office and was a member of the labor and employment practice group. He has broad experience in the areas of labor and employment law and litigation with an emphasis on employment discrimination and harassment, wrongful discharge, and wage and hour law. He regularly represented employers before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the National Labor Relations Board, the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, the Wage and Hour Division of the United States Department of Labor, state and local civil rights agencies, and state and federal courts, including several circuit courts of appeal and The United States Supreme Court.
Career highlights include:
- Representing a wide range of manufacturing and restaurant clients
- Serving as national labor counsel for a national restaurant chain
- Representing numerous Japanese/American employers in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, and Alabama
- Successfully defending numerous EEOC actions across the country, including class actions alleging sexual harassment and discrimination, race discrimination, and age discrimination
Mr. North is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Mr. North has taught employment law and related topics to Japanese lawyers in Tokyo as part of the Capital University Law School's American Legal Studies Program in Japan. He has also given presentations on sexual harassment law, the Family and Medical Leave Act, wage-hour law, and related issues to various human resources groups.
Mr. North received his J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. He received an MBA cum laude from the University of Cincinnati and his B.S.M.E. cum laude from the University of Cincinnati.
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2012
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Employment and Labor, 2008-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law, 2006-2011
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management, 2012
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 2000
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.