- Brownfield Redevelopment
- Clean Air Act Permitting and Enforcement
- Climate Change and Green Technology
- Commercial Transactions
- Enforcement and Criminal Defense
- Environmental Audits and Compliance Plans
- Environmental Litigation
- Real Estate Development
- Regulatory Matters
- Solid and Hazardous Waste
- Toxic Substances
- Underground Storage Tanks
- Water Law
- Government Relations
- Real Estate
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1983, cum laude
- George Washington University, B.A., 1977, with Honors, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Mark is a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the energy and environmental group. His practice includes all areas of environmental law, including litigation, dispute resolution, business and transactional matters and advising on regulatory issues. In 2011, Law360 named him one of four national MVPs in Environmental Law. He has been listed in Ohio Super Lawyers since 2004, in Chambers and Partners since 2005, in The Best Lawyers in America since 2006, and in 2014 was Cincinnati Environmental Law "Lawyer of the Year."
Career highlights include:
- Representing a sewer district owner in the negotiation and implementation of a Consent Decree in U.S. v. Board of County Commissioners, et al., a multi-billion dollar Clean Water Act case
- Representing General Electric in a CERCLA cost-recovery case against the US Air Force, settled with an 8 figure payment by the USA for past costs and a super-majority USA share for future costs
- Representing Fortune 100 Companies in Vapor Intrusion litigation and disputes involving off-site and residential claims and impacts
- Representing plaintiffs in settling a confidential groundwater consultant malpractice case involving net present valuations of long-term damages
- Serving as counsel in Siemens v. Koncelik before the Ohio Environmental Review Appeals Committee (ERAC) regarding the scope of Ohio's Voluntary Action Program
- Representing a major potentially responsible party in U.S. v. Terminix, et al., a Superfund matter, tried on contribution issues
- Representing a major potentially responsible party and group in U.S. v. Pristine - a group of multiple Superfund cases
- Representing clients in significant Clean Water Act, wetland, industrial discharge, and drinking water matters
- Serving as counsel for RCRA (Resource Conservation Recovery Act) corrective action sites and as lead counsel for Superfund potentially responsible parties (owners, operators, generators, transporters); worked on issues relating to solid waste permitting and licensing, construction and demolition debris permitting and licensing
- Advising clients on Vapor Intrusion risks, investigations, and remedies, including off-site and residential impacts
- Managed a multi-state search for PCB contaminated waste oil, negotiated CERCLA and TSCA cleanups with USEPA on behalf of property owners and remediation companies, advised on new chemical uses, importation/ exportation, polymer, and other TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) issues, including enforcement
- Leading and managing multi-media and single-media audits of a wide variety of factories and regulated facilities, including filing violation self-disclosures with the USEPA and state agencies and presenting the results to corporate leadership and regulatory agencies
- Conducted environmental due diligence and negotiated asset/stock sale and lending/finance transaction terms (including indemnities) for over 25 years, including a wide range of industrial, commercial, and multi-family properties involving both public and private companies, both in the US and abroad. Engaged and supervised Phase 1 and Phase 2 investigations and remediations related to transactions, including Vapor Intrusion
- Participating in the issuance, to clients and interested parties, of over ten Ohio EPA Covenants Not to Sue under the Ohio Voluntary Action Program
- Representing clients that have obtained multiple grants resulting in major remediation and redevelopment projects under the Clean Ohio Fund
- Serving as counsel to developers, sellers, end-users, lenders, and public funding entities in transactions involving brownfield development in multiple states
- Serving as environmental counsel for a client that was asked by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) to implement anthrax decontamination of the U.S. Senate Office Building and the U.S. Postal Service facilities
- Serving as regulatory counsel in a leaking chemical railcar case with thousands of residents evacuated and roads closed, negotiating with multiple regulators and law enforcement officials and handling risk management, public communication, corporate advising and coordination with litigation counsel
- Representing a manufacturer in an emergency testing and evaluation as to whether an operating factory must be evacuated
Mark is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association, the Cincinnati Bar Association and the National Brownfields Association.
Mark has given speeches for over 25 years to numerous organizations including the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, and multiple local bar associations, trade associations, clients, businesses, universities and law schools. He has co-taught multi-day environmental law and regulation seminars to environmental professionals for over five years.
Mark received his J.D. cum laude from the Georgetown University Law Center. He received his B.A. with honors from George Washington University, where he was Phi Beta Kappa.
Professional and Community Activities
- Greater Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce
- Hamilton County Environmental Action Commission, Member since 1992
- Crossroad Health Center, Cincinnati, Co-founder, Board member since 1992
Honors & Awards
- Law360 2011 Environmental Law MVP
- The Best Lawyers in America, Cincinnati Environmental Law Lawyer of the Year, 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law, 2006-2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Environmental, 2012-2015
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Environmental, 2004-2015
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Top 50 Cincinnati Area Super Lawyers, 2010
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Natural Resources and Environment, 2005-2015
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 5/19/2015Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2015 edition of Chambers USA.
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 5/23/2014Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2014 edition of Chambers USA.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 8/14/2013Ten Vorys attorneys from three offices have been named 2014 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers. Each year, only a single lawyer in each specialty in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year.”
- 5/24/2013Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2013 edition of Chambers USA. Chambers USA conducts in-depth research and ranks the leading firms and attorneys in an extensive range of practice areas throughout America.
- 3/22/2013Mark Norman, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office, was highlighted in an Environmental Law360 article.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 7/6/2012Vorys Partners Joseph Lonardo, Mark Norman and Anthony Osterlund were mentioned as counsel for General Electric Co. (GE) in a Law360 story regarding a settlement over hazardous waste cleanup costs related to a former U.S. Air Force plant site.
- 6/7/2012Vorys announced that 35 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2012 edition of Chambers USA.
- 5/23/2012Vorys partners Mark Norman and Scott Ziance spoke at the Ohio Brownfield Conference on May 23.
- 8/27/2013Mark A. Norman, a partner in the Cincinnati office, authored this article on environmental lender liability for the Summer 2013 issue of The Bankers' Statement.
- Summer 1994