- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 2008
- Miami University, B.A., 2005
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Martha is an associate in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation practice group. Her practice focuses on complex business, commercial, and contract litigation and she has significant experience in counseling large commercial clients related to potential litigation, including breach of contract, fraud, statutory and regulatory changes, and general best business practices.
Martha also assists clients in the collection and review of e-discovery productions. She works with clients to understand how their information is stored and retrieved across their electronic systems and has opposed e-discovery requests on the grounds of undue burden and cost. She also has experience assisting clients in the collection and review of electronically stored documents in response to subpoenas by a federal agency.
Her notable experience includes:
- Serving as second chair in a two-week trial, securing $11.6 million verdict in favor of client
- Serving as second chair in over ten bench and jury trials and multi-day preliminary injunction hearings in both state court and federal district court
- Serving on team successfully representing a group of land owners in original mandamus action before Ohio Supreme Court and securing jury verdicts in favor of land owner clients up to four times the original offer from the condemnor
- Serving as in house counsel in months-long secundments at two Fortune 50 companies
Martha received her J.D. magna cum laude from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, where she was a member of the Order of the Coif and President of the Student Bar Association. She received her B.A. from Miami University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Ohio Women's Bar Association, Member
- Columbus Bar Association Professional Ethics Committee
- Nationwide Children's Hospital Black Tie Ball, Chairperson, 2011, 2012; member 2009-present
- Graham Primary School, Board Member
- The Ohio State University Moritz Mentoring and More Program, Mentor
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, General Litigation, 2013-2017
- Michael E. Moritz Leadership Award, 2007-2008 and 2006-2007
- The Ohio State University Outstanding Professional Student Award, 2007
- 12/2/2016Vorys is pleased to announce that 58 attorneys from the firm have been named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/2/2015Vorys is pleased to announce that 63 attorneys from the firm have been named 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 10/9/20122012 OAPCS 6th Annual State Conference: “Crisis Management: Tips and tactics for Navigating Tumultuous Times”Vorys attorneys Elizabeth Smith, Jackie Ford, Martha Brewer and Christopher Ingram spoke at the Ohio Alliance for Public Charter Schools 6th Annual Conference on October 9-10.
- 4/26/2012On April 26, Vorys and the Central Ohio Association of Corporate Counsel hosted the program, Privilege. Privacy. Preservation. Managing Risks with Electronic Communications.