Mr. McMonagle is of counsel in the Vorys Cleveland office and a member of the corporate and finance and litigation practice groups. He has been involved with the mediation and arbitration of complex cases throughout the United States, including tort business, securities and employment litigation as well as unwinding and restructuring businesses as a result of unexpected market changes. Mr. McMonagle also assists health care and other corporate entities in strategic planning.
Career highlights include:
- Serving as a judge of the Common Pleas Court of Cuyahoga County for thirteen years
- Serving as general counsel, senior vice president and secretary, University Hospitals Health System and University Hospitals of Cleveland
- Serving as board member of a Fortune 500 Company and as chairman of the board of a Mutual Fund Complex
- Serving as both a mediator and arbitrator in complex civil proceedings throughout the United States
Mr. McMonagle is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Cleveland Bar Association, the American Arbitration Association and the American Judges Association.
Mr. McMonagle has spoken across the country on asbestos litigation and has also been a frequent lecturer to judges on a state and federal level. Presentation topics have included product liability, employment law, mediation techniques and other areas.
Mr. McMonagle received his J.D. from the Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law and his B.S. and B.A. from Georgetown University.
Mr. McMonagle has authored dozens of reported cases that are contained in the Ohio Official Reports and North Eastern Reporter System.
Professional and Community Activities
- Cleveland Bar Association, Board Member, 1990-1995
- American College of Civil Trial Mediators, Fellow
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Ohio State Bar Association, Delegate, elected in 1987 and re-elected in 1991
- First Friday Club of Cleveland, President, 1980
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Corporate Law, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Cleveland Arbitration Lawyer of the Year, 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America, Arbitration, 2012-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Mediation, 2012-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2006-2011
- Fellow of the Ohio State Bar Foundation, 1988-present
- The Best Lawyers in America, Antitrust Law, 2005-2006
- Jurisprudence Award, 2000
- Outstanding Judge in Ohio, 1990
- Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 126 Vorys Attorneys included in the 2013 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- Eleven Vorys Attorneys Named 2012 “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers®
- More than 100 Vorys Attorneys named on 2012 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- James J. McMonagle Named to American College of Civil Trial Mediators
- Vorys Ranked #1 Law Firm in Ohio on 2011 Best Lawyers in America® list
- Vorys ranked #1 law firm in Ohio on 2010 Best Lawyers in America® list
- Vorys Attorneys Named on 2009 Best Lawyers in America List
- Vorys named the "2008 Leading Ohio Law Firm" by Best Lawyers