- Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights
- Corporate and Business Organizations
- Government Relations
- Health Care
- Labor and Employment
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., 1970
- Georgetown University, B.S., B.A., 1966
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
Jim is of counsel in the Vorys Cleveland office and a member of the corporate and litigation practice groups. He has been involved with the mediation and arbitration of complex cases throughout the United States, including tort business, securities and employment litigation as well as unwinding and restructuring businesses as a result of unexpected market changes. Jim also assists health care and other corporate entities in strategic planning.
Career highlights include:
- Serving as a judge of the Common Pleas Court of Cuyahoga County for thirteen years
- Serving as general counsel, senior vice president and secretary, University Hospitals Health System and University Hospitals of Cleveland
- Serving as board member of a Fortune 500 Company and as chairman of the board of a Mutual Fund Complex
- Serving as both a mediator and arbitrator in complex civil proceedings throughout the United States
Jim is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Cleveland Bar Association, the American Arbitration Association and the American Judges Association.
Jim has spoken across the country on asbestos litigation and has also been a frequent lecturer to judges on a state and federal level. Presentation topics have included product liability, employment law, mediation techniques and other areas.
Jim received his J.D. from the Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law and his B.S. and B.A. from Georgetown University.
Jim has authored dozens of reported cases that are contained in the Ohio Official Reports and North Eastern Reporter System.
Professional and Community Activities
- Cleveland Bar Association, Board Member, 1990-1995
- American College of Civil Trial Mediators, Fellow
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Ohio State Bar Association, Delegate, elected in 1987 and re-elected in 1991
- First Friday Club of Cleveland, President, 1980
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Corporate Law, 2013-2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Cleveland Arbitration Lawyer of the Year, 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America, Arbitration, 2012-2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Mediation, 2012-2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2006-2011
- Fellow of the Ohio State Bar Foundation, 1988-present
- The Best Lawyers in America, Antitrust Law, 2005-2006
- Jurisprudence Award, 2000
- Outstanding Judge in Ohio, 1990
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.