William D. Kloss, Jr. is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and has a broad national litigation practice. His current practice focuses on complex commercial cases, products liability, franchise litigation, shareholder disputes, consumer protection and catastrophic personal injury, both defense and plaintiff. Mr. Kloss defends numerous drug manufacturers in litigation involving prescription drugs and alleged catastrophic injuries related to them. Mr. Kloss has also briefed and argued numerous cases in Ohio Appellate Courts and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals. He is also admitted to practice in the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals and the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Career highlights include:
- Participation in more than 15 jury trials to verdict and more than 30 bench trials and arbitrations around the country and throughout Ohio, including several that exceeded 20 trial days.
- Successfully defended a consumer class action arising from alleged predatory lending practices.
- Successfully defended a consumer action alleging fraud and violation of various consumer protection statutes arising from the sale of several automobiles. A defense verdict was rendered and significant sanctions were imposed against plaintiffs and their counsel.
- Successfully represented a franchisee in a dispute arising from a violation of the Ohio Business Opportunity Act. A summary judgment was entered in favor of the franchisee.
- Filed numerous successful motions to dismiss on behalf of various product manufacturers on claims abrogated by the Ohio Product Liability Act.
- Successfully represented a shareholder in a business divorce that resulted in a mandate from the Court of Appeals ordering that the business be dissolved.
Mr. Kloss has spoken on general trial practice matters, including effective trial techniques, cross-examination of medical experts and the use of electronic demonstrative evidence in the courtroom.
Mr. Kloss received his J.D. from the University of Cincinnati where he was a member of the University of Cincinnati Law Review and the Order of the Coif. He received his B.S. from Miami University.
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2013
- Ohio Super Lawyers, General Litigation, 2004-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Personal Injury Litigation, 2003-2013
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 126 Vorys Attorneys included in the 2013 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- 75 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2012 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- More than 100 Vorys Attorneys named on 2012 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- 72 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2011 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Vorys Ranked #1 Law Firm in Ohio on 2011 Best Lawyers in America® list
- 54 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2010 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Vorys ranked #1 law firm in Ohio on 2010 Best Lawyers in America® list
- 70 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2009 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Vorys Attorneys Named on 2009 Best Lawyers in America List
- Vorys named the "2008 Leading Ohio Law Firm" by Best Lawyers
“Mistaken Payment and Restitutionary Principles Under the Uniform Commercial Code,” University of Cincinnati Law Review, 1988 (56 U. Cin. L. Rev. 3)