Mr. Kinzer is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the labor and employment practice group. He has represented employers across the country, defending discrimination suits and advising employers on union issues. Mr. Kinzer has successfully defended employers in wage and hour class actions and counseled employers through collective bargaining, strikes and picketing by unions. He has also successfully represented employers before the National Labor Relations Board and the U.S. Department of Labor concerning wage and hour and Family and Medical Leave Act issues.
Career highlights include:
- Defending employers in putative class action lawsuits alleging violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act and various state wage and hour laws
- Advising and counseling large employers targeted for “corporate campaigns” by national unions
- Defending employers in discrimination and ERISA suits in state and federal courts
Mr. Kinzer is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Mr. Kinzer has lectured on a variety of topics including the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the National Labor Relations Act, decisions of the National Labor Relations Board, Title VII and state discrimination laws, and the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Mr. Kinzer received his J.D. from the University of North Carolina School of Law with honors where he was a member of the University of North Carolina Law Review. He received his B.A. summa cum laude from Vanderbilt University where he was Phi Beta Kappa.
Professional and Community Activities
- Employer’s Guide to The Fair Labor Standards Act and FLSA Employee Classification, Editorial Advisory Board, Thompson Publishing Group
- Fair Labor Standards Act Cumulative Supplement, Chapter Editor, BNA Books
- ABA Labor and Employment Section, Federal Labor Standards Legislation Committee
- Equal Pay Act Subcommittee, Chair, 1996-2003
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act Subcommittee, Member, 2003-2005
- Fair Labor Standards Subcommittee, Member, 2006-present
- Wage and Hour Laws Cumulative Supplement, Chapter Author, BNA Books
- Ohio Supreme Court Mentor, Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentoring Program, 2006-2013
- Japan-America Society of Central Ohio, Board of Trustees, 2008-2013; Programming Committee Co-Chair, 2008-2012; Vice President, 2011-present
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2013
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Employment and Labor, 2004-2006, 2009-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Labor & Employment, 2013
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1999
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated Top Rated Lawyer in Labor & Employment, Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
- Vorys Advises Worthington Industries In Acquisition of Business of Palmer Mfg. &Tank, Inc.
- Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 126 Vorys Attorneys included in the 2013 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- 75 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2012 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 72 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2011 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Ford and Kinzer Quoted in The Daily Reporter Article "Local Attorneys Say Court Case Demonstrates Need for Electronic Communication Policies"
- 54 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2010 Ohio Super Lawyers
- 70 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2009 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Kinzer featured in Business First article "A Conversation with Allen S. Kinzer"
- Avoiding Wage and Hour Liabilities
- 6th Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference
- Employment Law Update and Review
- ERA Employment Law Update and Review
- 2010 Ohio Employment Law Seminar Series
- Department of Labor Reversal on Overtime for Loan Officers: What to Consider Now
- Employment Law Update and Review
- 2009 Labor and Employment Law Update
- Employment Law How Tos
- Employment Law Manual: Ohio and Kentucky
- Employment Law Policies and Forms
- "Bonuses and the Fluctuating Workweek Method of Overtime Pay," Employer's Guide to the Fair Labor Standards Act, July 2011
- Labor and Employment Alert: Department of Labor Wants Employers to Report Detailed Information Regarding Union Avoidance Activities
- "Should I Call a Lawyer? The FLSA's Good-Faith Defense Can Create an Absolute Defense for Employers," by Allen S. Kinzer
- Labor and Employment Alert: Supreme Court Ruling Offers Employers Hints for Searching Employee Electronic Communications
- Labor and Employment Alert: New Whistleblower Protections Added to the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Labor and Employment Alert: New Federal Rights for Nursing Mothers in the Workplace
- What employers need to know about GINA