- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights
- Financial Institutions
- Franchising and Distribution
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1980
- Cornell University, B.A., 1977
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Mr. Jackson is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the bankruptcy practice. He has significant experience in the insolvency field having represented secured creditors, Chapter 11 debtors, trustees, creditors' committees, equity holders, asset purchasers, vendors and suppliers. Mr. Jackson's practice also includes all aspects of commercial collections and workouts, including loan restructurings, forbearance arrangements, receiverships and foreclosures.
Career highlights include:
- Serving as president of the American Bankruptcy Institute, 2007-2008
- Served as counsel to the Unsecured Creditors’ Committee in the bankruptcy of Primary Health Systems, a five-hospital health care system, which was filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Delaware before Judge Walrath and successfully negotiating a creditors trust for the benefit of the unsecured creditors
- Served as counsel to the unsecured creditors' committee in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of Triad Resources, an oil and gas development company with secured and unsecured debt in excess of $100 million. Negotiated a plan that carved out significant recovery for the unsecured creditors
- Served as counsel to the trust established to implement confirmed plan in Triad Resources. Successfully prosecuted claim to oil and gas interests which enhanced recovery to unsecured creditors
- Served as counsel to a $1 billion farm cooperative, and its related financing arm, in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy and receiving the confirmation of a successful Chapter 11 plan in six months
- Serving as counsel to future claimant’s representative in Chapter 11 proceedings of The Flintkote Company, a former manufacturer of asbestos, pending in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Delaware
- Representing a fortune 500 public company in bankruptcy matters pending nationally
- Representing a national franchisor in connection with restructuring and enforcement of franchise rights in bankruptcy, the purchase of assets from bankruptcy and protecting interests in connection with bankruptcy filing by franchisees
- Representing creditors in significant Chapter 11 proceedings including Lyondell Chemical, Kodak, New Page, AbitibiBowater and Smurfit-Stone Container
- Graduating from the American Bankruptcy Institute and St. Johns Law School bankruptcy mediation training program, the first bankruptcy specific mediation certification program
Mr. Jackson is a member of the Ohio State Bar Foundation and the Ohio State Bar Association.
Mr. Jackson has spoken on several occasions before the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, the American Bankruptcy Institute’s Annual Spring Meeting and Winter Leadership Conference, the Southeast Bankruptcy Law Institute, the Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar, as well as other local and regional conferences. Topics have included exit financing in Chapter 11 bankruptcies, preference defense, avoiding litigation, out of court workouts, and post confirmation issues.
Mr. Jackson received his J.D. from the University of Pennsylvania Law School and his B.A. from Cornell University.
Professional and Community Activities
- American Bankruptcy Institute, President 2007-2008; Executive Committee, 2003-2010; Board of Trustees, 2003-present
- Ohio State Bar Association, Council of Delegates, 2002-2007; Board of Governors, 2003-2007
- ABI Journal, Former Editor
- Columbus Bar Association, Board of Governors, 1998-2002; Bankruptcy Committee Chair, 1990-1992
- Ohio State Bar Foundation, President, 2001
- American Bar Association, Conference of Minority Partners in Majority/Corporate Law Firms, Chairman, 1996-1999
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2013
- Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy since 2001
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1991
- Fellow of the Ohio State Bar Foundation since 1994
- The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law, 1995-2014
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights, 2004-2014
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2004-2013
- Named one of America’s Top Black Lawyers, Black Enterprise Magazine
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 10/28/2013Reginald Jackson, a partner in the Columbus office, was quoted in a Columbus Dispatch story titled “Stunned Lombards Clients Likely to Lose Big.”
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 5/24/2013Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2013 edition of Chambers USA. Chambers USA conducts in-depth research and ranks the leading firms and attorneys in an extensive range of practice areas throughout America.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 6/7/2012Vorys announced that 35 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2012 edition of Chambers USA.
- 4/20/2013Vorys partner Reggie Jackson spoke at the American Bankruptcy Institute’s Annual Spring Meeting on April 20, 2013.
- 8/3/2012Vorys partner Reggie Jackson participated in the American Bankruptcy Institute’s 8th Annual Mid-Atlantic Bankruptcy Workshop on August 3.
- 3/23/2012Vorys partner Reggie Jackson spoke at the Southeastern Bankruptcy Law Institute Annual Conference on March 23.
- September 2012Vorys partners Sheila Nolan Gartland and Reginald Jackson served as editors for the American Bankruptcy Institute’s When Gushers Go Dry: The Essentials of Oil & Gas Bankruptcy.
- January 1997