Or contact us by completing this form.
Attorneys & ProfessionalsView List
Vorys attorneys team with cyber investigators to stop internet defamation, false reviews, cyber attacks, cyber bullying and other internet-related issues that damage companies and individuals. Our team identifies and stops anonymous defamers, cyber attackers and cyber bullies, removes defamatory information from websites and search engine indices, and seeks to recover damages.
False statements on the internet can severely damage a business and a person's reputation. The visibility and impact of such statements can substantially increase over time as false information moves up the search indices, is copied by other links, etc. Given the short statute of limitations for online defamation cases, it is important that those entities being attacked consider taking action to remove false statements from the internet.
- Initial case assessment. Our team will determine whether you or your company has a viable legal action for defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, publication of private facts, tortious interference with business relations, interference with prospective economic relations or any other claim under law.
- Removal of defamatory content and recovery of damages. Our team uses a combination of investigative and legal tactics to stop future attacks and to get the harmful material – oftentimes blog posts, comments or complete sites – removed from third-party websites and search engine indices. Our team then seeks to collect damages from the defamers, cyber attackers and cyber bullies.
Vorys has a dedicated team that represents a variety of clients in such matters. Whether counseling large national corporations, small businesses or individuals, our team, working within the guidelines of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act of 1996, can work to protect the fragile reputation of any company by taking quick and effective actions. A few examples include:
- Obtained a court order that resulted in the removal of false statements on Ripp Off Report from Google’s search indices related to a high profile business employee
- Removed from the internet two separate websites containing false information about a business
- Obtained a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction ordering a former customer to cease making false statements about a business online. These orders were submitted to Google, which in turn removed more than 30 false postings from its search indices.
- Successfully obtained the identity of anonymous people posting false information and reviews on the internet
- Obtained court orders denying objections to subpoenas to identify anonymous people posting false information on the internet