Ms. Herlihy is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group. She has a varied litigation practice and extensive trial experience, with a focus on commercial litigation. She has tried a broad range of commercial cases in state and federal courts, including trademark, domain name and copyright infringement, real estate transfers, wrongful death, and commercial contract cases. Recently, Ms. Herlihy's practice has included an emphasis on disputes involving covenants not to compete, misappropriation of trade secrets, trademark infringement and other intellectual property issues.
Career highlights include:
- Successfully defending a public university in a wrongful death trial before the Ohio Court of Claims
- Successfully defending a former executive accused of violating a covenant not to compete and of misappropriating trade secrets in a federal court jury trial
- Achieving declaratory judgment at a state court bench trial for the employee in a non-compete case
- Achieving directed verdict in a bench trial before a California state court involving shipping charges incurred by a client’s vendor
Ms. Herlihy is a member of the American Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Ms. Herlihy has presented seminars on various topics of trial advocacy, including the use of demonstrative evidence and deposition techniques. She has also co-taught a trial advocacy class for third year law students at The Ohio State University, and has served as a mock judge for various student trial competitions in Ohio.
Ms. Herlihy received her J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center magna cum laude where she was a member of the Order of the Coif. She received her B.A. from Boston College magna cum laude.
Ms. Herlihy was a judicial law clerk to the Honorable James G. Carr, Chief Judge, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio from 1997 to 1998.
Professional and Community Activities
- Court Appointed Special Advocates of Franklin County, Board Member, 2006-present
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, General Litigation, 2005-2007
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2012-2013
- 126 Vorys Attorneys included in the 2013 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- More than 100 Vorys Attorneys named on 2012 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- Herlihy quoted in Daily Reporter article "Summer Associates are Laying Groundwork for their Future Law Careers."
- Thirty-Six Vorys Attorneys Named Ohio Rising Stars