- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1990, with Honors
- Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government, M.P.P., 1981
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, B.S. Business Administration, 1979, Phi Eta Sigma, Beta Gamma Sigma, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Herb is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office. He practices in the area of commercial law with a strong emphasis on franchising and distribution law. He represents franchisors, subfranchisors and master franchisees in planning the structure of franchise relationships and the initiation of new franchise programs, as well as in the preparation of franchise agreements and franchise disclosure documents and in obtaining state franchise registrations nationwide. Herb represents manufacturers, distributors, suppliers, dealers and sales representatives in licensing arrangements, distributorships, dealerships, sales representative relationships and a variety of other commercial relationships and transactions. He also represents franchisors, manufacturers and distributors in establishing franchise and other relationships with franchisees and other parties located in other countries. In addition, Herb has broad experience in counseling business clients on warranty law issues.
Career highlights include:
- Representing a leading Central Ohio condominium developer in the development of the first ever program to franchise a condominium development business
- Representing a leading U.S. retailer in establishing franchise relationships with local franchisees in several foreign countries
- Representing a leading franchisor in the home services industry in the establishment of a national advertising program
- Representing a leading manufacturer of marine engines in its critical supply agreements and in management of warranty-related litigation filed in jurisdictions throughout the United States
Herb is a member of the American Bar Association, the American Bar Association Forum on Franchising, the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Herb has spoken at the International Franchise Association’s Annual Legal Symposia on disclosure compliance programs as well as payment and non-payment in franchise relationships and at the Ohio State Bar Association's primary CLE programs on franchise law in 2011, 2013 and 2015.
Herb received his J.D. with honors from The George Washington University Law School, his M.P.P. from Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government and his B.S. from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, where he was named to the Phi Beta Kappa, Beta Gamma Sigma and Phi Eta Sigma honorary societies.
Professional and Community Activities
- ProMusica Chamber Orchestra, Board Member, 2012-present
- Children's Hunger Alliance, Board Member, 2011-2014
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Franchise Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2015
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Franchise Law, 1997-2016
- The International Who's Who of Franchise Lawyers 2010-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Franchise/Dealership, 2004-2005
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1999
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 8/18/2014Seven Vorys attorneys have been named 2015 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers. Each year, only a single lawyer in each specialty in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year.”
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 9/17/2012Herbert Hedden and Frederick Ransier, partners in the Vorys Columbus office, participated in a business roundtable discussion with President Obama, which covered a number of topics including health care, environmental regulations, minimum wage, immigration and debt reduction.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 5/13/2015Vorys attorneys Herb Hedden and Judy Marsh were speakers at the Franchise Law Seminar hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association on May 13, 2015.
- 4/22/2015Vorys Partner Herb Hedden participated in a panel hosted by the Ohio State University Moritz College of Law on April 22, 2015.
- 5/3/2013Vorys partner Herb Hedden took part in a panel titled Franchising in Ohio: What Every Lawyers Needs to Know on May 3, 2013.
- 2014Herb Hedden and Judy Marsh, both partners in the firm’s Columbus office, authored a chapter for Mergers and Acquisitions of Franchise Companies (Second Edition, 2014, American Bar Association). Hedden and Marsh’s chapter is titled “Real Estate Matters in Acquisitions and Mergers.”
- 10/28/2013To expand the scope of their business – either geographically or into additional product categories – many companies license their trademarks. Company "A" sells milk, for instance, and shipping milk far from its source of production may not make economic sense. A restaurateur wishes to open restaurants in other states. Another company has expertise in selling men's clothes, but would like to expand to men's shoes.
- 2012Mr. Hedden authored the Ohio law chapter of the American Bar Association's publication titled Covenants Against Competition in Franchise Agreements in 2012.