- Academic Medical Centers
- Behavioral Health Care, Developmental Disabilities and Child Welfare
- Health Care Regulatory Practice
- Hospitals/Health Care Operations
- Joint Ventures/Hospital-Physician Collaborations
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Managed Care
- Privacy and HIPAA Compliance/Health Information Technology
- Reimbursement Counseling/Fraud and Abuse Compliance
- State and Federal Health Care Government Relations
- Valparaiso University School of Law, J.D., 2009, magna cum laude,
Valparaiso University Law Review, Managing Editor, 2008-2009; Notewriter, 2007-2008
- Valparaiso University, M.S., with distinction, 2009
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., 2005
Bar & Court Admissions
Mr. Gruzs is an associate in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the health care group. His practice focuses on health care compliance and provider reimbursement issues for a wide array of provider types and practitioners. He has counseled adult and children's hospitals, physicians, Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC), community behavioral health agencies, providers of services to individuals with developmental disabilities, pharmacies, pharmacy benefit managers, and home health agencies on legal issues involving:
- Medicare and Medicaid coverage, documentation, billing, and reimbursement;
- HIPAA/HITECH privacy and security compliance, including drafting policies and procedures, business associate agreements, and notices of privacy practices;
- Compliance with federal and state fraud abuse laws, including the federal Anti-Kickback Statute, the federal Stark Physician Self-Referral Law, the federal False Claims Act and related government investigations and audits;
- Appeals of Medicare Part A inpatient hospital services reimbursement determinations made by federal Recovery Audit Contractors (RAC);
- Professional licensure and certification, including scope of practice determinations, issues related to the remote delivery of health care (telehealth), provider disciplinary actions and peer review privilege; and
- Drafting and negotiating contracts, including confidentiality agreements, services and management agreements, technology contracts, and employment/contractor agreements.
He also advises parties on Medicare Secondary Payer issues in the workers' compensation and liability settlements, and has experience with motion practice in medical malpractice litigation and disputes involving the confidentiality of health information.
Mr. Gruzs is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association, the Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys, and the Healthcare Information Management Systems Society.
Mr. Gruzs has presented on numerous aspects of HIPAA, including business associate contracting, enforcement, and breach notification; meaningful use incentives; fraud and abuse compliance; and the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act.
Mr. Gruzs is an editor of the blog HealtHITech Law. The blog provides interesting and pertinent analysis of a variety of issues involving health information technology (HIT), specifically developments in HIT privacy and security including HIPAA/HITECH compliance and the interplay of state privacy laws, HER implementation and use challenges, review of new HIT tools and status of health information exchanges.
Mr. Gruzs received his J.D. magna cum laude from Valparaiso University School of Law, where he was the Managing Editor of the Valparaiso University Law Review. He received his M.S. with distinction from Valparaiso University and his B.A. from the University of Notre Dame.
Mr. Gruzs served as a law clerk for Chief Judge John R. Pera of Lake County Superior Court in Indiana. He was also a judicial extern for The Honorable Algenon L. Marbley, United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.
Professional and Community Activities
- St. Charles Alumni Association Board, 2011–present
- Big Brothers, Big Sisters Project Mentor, Africentric Early College, 2011-2012
- South Bend Center for the Homeless, Volunteer and Tutor, 2002-2005
- Robinson Community Learning Center, Volunteer and Tutor, 2002-2005
- 2/14/2014Gruzs Quoted in eHealthlaw and Policy story titled “Federal Bill Seeks to Produce a Working Definition for Telehealth”Liam Gruzs, an associate in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the health care group, was quoted in the February 2014 edition of eHealthlaw and Policy. The story that Gruzs was quoted in was titled “Federal Bill Seeks to Produce a Working Definition for Telehealth.”
- 6/13/2012Vorys’ fifth and newest blog was launched to provide interesting and pertinent analysis of a variety of issues involving health information technology (HIT). The blog, available at www.healtHITechlaw.com, will provide readers with frequent updates on developments in HIT.
- 10/24/2013Vorys attorneys Robin Amicon, Liam Gruzs and Lisa Pierce Reisz will be spoke at the Academy of Senior Health Sciences 2013 Fall Conference on October 24, 2013.
- 5/21/2013Vorys attorneys Lisa Pierce Reisz and Liam Gruzs presented a webinar series to further discuss the release of the final omnibus HIPAA rule by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- 4/23/2013Vorys attorneys Lisa Pierce Reisz and Liam Gruzs presented a webinar on April 23 to further discuss the release of the final omnibus HIPAA rule by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- 3/19/2013Vorys attorneys Lisa Reisz and Liam Gruzs hosted a webinar to further discuss the release of the final omnibus HIPAA rule by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- 3/13/2013Vorys associate Liam Gruzs presented at the Akron Bar Association’s Health Law Section Meeting on March 13, 2013.
- 3/11/2013Several Vorys attorneys presented at the seminar, HIPAA, HITECH and Confidentially Training, on March 11, 2013. The training seminar was hosted by the Ohio Council of Behavioral Health & Family Services Providers.
- 2/7/2013On February 7, 2013, Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease hosted a webinar discussing the release of the long-awaited final omnibus HIPAA rule by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- 3/22/2012New CMS Proposed Rule Implements 60-Day Deadline for Reporting and Return of Overpayments - But What Does it Really Mean?Vorys attorneys Matt Albers, Liam Gruzs and Jolie Havens presented a teleseminar on March 22.
- 1/27/2014In a recently published final rule, CMS established the requirements for settings that may be eligible sites for the delivery of reimbursable Medicaid home and community-based services (HCBS) provided under sections 1915(c), 1915(i) and 1915(k) of the Medicaid statute.
- 1/18/2013On January 17, 2013, HHS announced the release of the long-awaited final omnibus HIPAA rule. According to HHS Office for Civil Rights Director Leon Rodriguez, "This final omnibus rule marks the most sweeping changes to the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules since they were first implemented. ..."
- 5/15/2012The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has issued two rulemakings aimed at alleviating procedural and administrative burdens on providers in response to the president's Executive Order 13563, Improving Regulation and Regulatory Review.