- Intellectual Property, Entertainment, and Technology Protection
- Trusts, Estates, and Wealth Transfer
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 2004, Order of the Coif
Cincinnati Law Review, Associate Member, 2002-2003
- Penn State University, B.S., 2000
Bar & Court Admissions
Whitney Gibson is a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and is the leader of the firm’s internet crises group. The group has worked on hundreds of internet related cases from across the country and develops unique solutions for companies that are being damaged or attacked online.
Mr. Gibson has experience in all aspects of this new area of law including internet defamation, false reviews, traffic diversion, product diversion, trademark infringement, SEO manipulation, copyright infringement and public disclosure of private facts.
Career highlights include:
- Obtaining a court order that resulted in the removal of false statements on Ripp Off Report from Google's search indices related to a high profile business employee
- Removing from the internet two separate websites containing false information about a business
- Obtaining a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction ordering a former customer to cease making false statements about a business online. These orders were submitted to Google, which in turn removed more than 30 false postings from its search indices.
- Successfully obtaining the identity of anonymous people posting false information and reviews on the internet
- Obtaining court orders denying objections to subpoenas to identify anonymous people posting false information on the internet
Mr. Gibson has developed a reputation as a go-to attorney for internet defamation. He has authored several articles for trade and popular media including an article titled “Identifying and Nailing the Online Defamer,” which appeared in PR News. He is routinely interviewed by media, both print and broadcast, on internet crisis issues. Mr. Gibson has presented seminars on various topics, including electronic discovery in complex litigation.
In addition, Mr. Gibson has been recognized as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers every year since 2009.
Mr. Gibson received his J.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Law, where he was a member of Order of the Coif and was an associate member of the Cincinnati Law Review. He received his B.S. from Penn State University.
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Business Litigation, 2007 & 2009-2014
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 11/25/2013Whitney Gibson, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and the leader of the firm’s internet crises group, was interviewed on the FOX19 Morning News about the prevalence of false online reviews.
- 11/20/2013Whitney Gibson, partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and leader of the firm’s internet crises group, was one of the featured presenters at Social Media Mania.
- 10/30/2013Gibson Featured in Forbes.com Story Titled “Online Reputation: New Methods Emerge For Quashing Fake, Defamatory Reviews”Whitney Gibson, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and the leader of the firm’s internet crises group, was quoted was in a Forbes.com story about the increase of false online reviews.
- 9/27/2013Gibson Featured in Cincinnati Business Courier Story Titled “Tempted to Give a Fake Online Review? This Attorney Says Don't Do It”Whitney Gibson, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and the leader of the firm’s internet crisis group, was featured in a Cincinnati Business Courier story about false online reviews.
- 9/18/2013Gibson, Vorys Internet Crisis Practice Profiled in Lead Cincinnati Story Titled “Revealing the Face of the Attacker”Whitney Gibson, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and leader of the firm’s internet crisis practice, was profiled in the Fall 2013 edition of Lead Cincinnati. The story titled “Revealing the Face of the Attacker,” highlighted Gibson’s work on internet issues, including internet defamation and internet crisis situations.
- 8/26/2013Whitney Gibson, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and the leader of the firm’s internet defamation group, was featured in the August 25, 2013 edition of the Cincinnati Enquirer. The article, which was titled “Is this product review true? Q&A: False negatives are damaging, illegal,” featured several questions related to false online reviews and Gibson’s responses to those questions.
- 5/9/2013Whitney Gibson, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office, was interviewed for a FOX19 Cincinnati story on the increasing number of lawsuits being filed over false online reviews.
- 1/2/2013Vorys announced that Matthew E. Albers, Tiffany Bingham Briscoe, Daniel J. Clark, Whitney C. Gibson, Robert J. Krummen, Christina M. Lyons, Joseph B. Mann, Timothy B. McGranor, Adam L. Miller, Ariel A. Mullin, William H. Oldach, III, Nicholas M.J. Ray, and Michael J. Settineri have been named partners of the firm.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 11/1/2012Whitney Gibson, an attorney in the firm’s Cincinnati office, was quoted in a Columbus C.E.O. story regarding the online business risks that executives should be prepared for.
- 10/22/2012Whitney Gibson, an attorney in the firm’s Cincinnati office, was featured guest on The Crisis Show. On the show, Gibson discussed the firm’s internet defamation practice.
- 8/17/2012Whitney Gibson, an attorney in the firm’s Cincinnati office, was quoted throughout a Cincinnati Business Courier story titled “Don't like what's posted about you online? There might be relief.”
- 7/12/2012Helping companies stop internet defamation, false reviews, cyber attacks and other internet-related issues that are increasingly causing damage to businesses’ reputations is the goal of a new practice launched by Vorys.
- 10/3/2013Whitney Gibson, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and leader of the firm’s internet crisis group, authored column for the Eastern Hills Journal. The column outlined the impact that false reviews can have on a company’s reputation. Gibson also outlines the steps consumers can take to identify fake reviews and prevent faulty purchasing decisions.
- 7/29/2013Whitney Gibson, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office, and Christopher Anderson, Ph.D., co-founder of Cyber Investigation Services, LLC, co-authored an article for the Bloomberg BNA: Social Media Law & Policy Report about techniques that companies can use to remove misinformation and defamation from the internet.
- 5/20/2013Whitney C. Gibson, a partner in the Cincinnati office, published this article regarding internet defamation in the Spring 2013 issue of The Bankers' Statement.
- 10/1/2012Whitney Gibson, an attorny in the Vorys Cincinnati office, and Christopher Anderson, Ph.D., co-founder of Cyber Investigation Services, LLC, authored a column for PR News with tips to help public relations professionals identify an individual who is seeking to hurt a business online.
- 3/20/2012Glenn Whitaker and Whitney Gibson, attorneys in the firm’s Cincinnati office, co-authored a column titled “A Guide To Preventing False Claims Act Litigation” for Law360.