Mr. Foley is a retired partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group. He practices extensively in the area of insurance, corporate and general litigation. He has represented numerous corporations, insurance companies and financial institutions regarding insurance sales practices; insurance coverage, alleged violations of state insurance laws, covenants not to compete; ERISA; manufacturer-distributor disputes and general business litigation.
Career highlights include:
- Acting as primary litigation counsel for two insurance guaranty associations
- Defeating class certification in class action cases
- Negotiating favorable settlements in state-wide and nationwide class action cases
- Successfully arguing cases before the Supreme Court of Ohio
- Successfully briefing cases before the United States Supreme Court
Mr. Foley is a member of the Federal Bar Association, the Ohio Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Mr. Foley has spoken at numerous seminars in the insurance field.
Mr. Foley received his J.D. from Notre Dame Law School where he participated in the National Moot Court team. He received his B.A. magna cum laude from University of Notre Dame.
Professional and Community Activities
- The National Conference of Insurance Guaranty Funds, Legal Committee, 1997-present
- Catholic Social Services of Columbus, Board of Trustees, 2004-present, Vice-Chair, 2007-2009, Chair 2009 - present
- Capital University Law School, Adjunct Professor, 2007-present
- The Ohio State University College of Law, Adjunct Professor of Trial Practice, 1993-2000
- The City of Upper Arlington, Ohio, Charter Review Commission Chairman, 1996-1998
- Ohio Legal Rights Service Commission, Board, 1987-1993
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2011-2012
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2012
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Insurance Defense-Commercial, 2004-2006
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Class Action/Mass Torts, 2012-2013
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 2005
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 75 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2012 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- More than 100 Vorys Attorneys named on 2012 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- Vorys Ranked #1 Law Firm in Ohio on 2011 Best Lawyers in America® list
- Vorys attorneys author chapter of book on insurance application process
- Foley Elected Chair of Catholic Social Services Board of Directors
- Regional Editor, Annotated Model Insurance Guaranty Act
- Ohio Editor, "Misrepresentation in Life, Health and Disability Insurance," American Bar Association, 2009