- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights
- Energy and Utilities
- Financial Institutions
- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights Litigation
- Business and Commercial
- Constitutional Law and Media
- Eminent Domain and Real Property
- Franchise Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Real Property, Zoning, and Land Development
- Toxic Torts
- Trust and Estate Litigation
- Trusts, Estates, and Wealth Transfer
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1988, Order of the Coif
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, B.A., 1985, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- The Honorable J. Craig Wright, Ohio Supreme Court, 1988-1989
- The Honorable John D. Holschuh, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 1989-1991
Phil is a partner in the Vorys Akron office in the litigation group. His practice focuses on oil and gas litigation, toxic tort litigation and litigation in a variety of areas including financial institutions, bankruptcy, probate, product liability and general commercial litigation.
Career highlights include:
- Representing energy clients in litigation throughout eastern Ohio in matters involving the exploration and production of the Utica shale and other mineral resources
- Serving as national coordinating counsel for a Fortune 500 company in toxic tort litigation
- Obtaining a jury verdict in excess of $14 million in a case brought by a non-profit organization against former trustees and officers
- Defense and resolution of multimillion-dollar claims against clients by bankruptcy trustees
Phil is a member of the Akron and Ohio State Bar Associations.
Phil has presented seminars on trial practice, advocacy and the Rules of Evidence.
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2014
- Ohio Super Lawyers, General Litigation, 2008, 2012-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Akron Bet-the-Company Litigation Lawyer of the Year, 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Bet-the-Company Litigation, 2010-2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2007-2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2005-2007
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1995
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 8/14/2013Ten Vorys attorneys from three offices have been named 2014 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers. Each year, only a single lawyer in each specialty in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year.”
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 10/16/2014Vorys partner Phil Downey presented at the Litigation Basics Seminar hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association on October 16, 2014.
- 3/5/2014Vorys Partners Jon Airey and Phil Downey presented at the Ohio Oil and Gas 67th Annual Winter Meeting on March 5, 2014.
- 10/30/2013Vorys partner Phil Downey presented at the Litigation Basics Seminar hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association on October 30, 2013.
- 10/31/2012Vorys partner Philip Downey was one of many presenters in the Litigation Basics seminar that took placeOctober 31, 2012 in Columbus at the Ohio State Bar Association. The one-day seminar provided substantive skills and taught the basics of civil litigation.
- 1/8/2014Oil and Gas Alert: U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio Certifies DMA Questions to the Supreme Court of OhioThe U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio recently certified two important questions of law concerning the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act (DMA) to the Supreme Court of Ohio.
- 12/20/2012Ohio Governor John Kasich today signed the Amended Substitute House Bill 380, which requires the full disclosure of all asbestos bankruptcy trust claims made by plaintiffs with asbestos lawsuits in Ohio. The law will go into effect 90 days from today.
- 12/14/2012The Ohio General Assembly this week passed Amended Substitute House Bill 380, which requires the full disclosure of all asbestos bankruptcy trust claims made by plaintiffs with asbestos lawsuits in Ohio. The bill is headed to Governor John Kasich’s desk; he is expected to sign the bill.