Mr. Downey is a partner in the Vorys Akron office in the litigation group. His practice focuses on bankruptcy, probate, product liability and general commercial litigation.
Career highlights include:
- Jury verdict in excess of $14 million in a case brought by a non-profit organization against former trustees and officers
- Defense and resolution of multi-million dollar claims against clients by bankruptcy trustees
Mr. Downey is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association.
Mr. Downey has presented seminars and trial practice and advocacy and the Rules of Evidence.
Mr. Downey received his J.D. from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law where he was a member of Order of the Coif. He received his B.A. from Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, where he was Phi Beta Kappa.
Mr. Downey clerked for The Honorable J. Craig Wright on the Ohio Supreme Court and The Honorable John D. Holschuh on the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2013
- Ohio Super Lawyers, General Litigation, 2008, 2012-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Bet-the-Company Litigation, 2010-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2007-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2005-2007
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1995
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 126 Vorys Attorneys included in the 2013 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- 75 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2012 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- More than 100 Vorys Attorneys named on 2012 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- Vorys Ranked #1 Law Firm in Ohio on 2011 Best Lawyers in America® list
- Vorys ranked #1 law firm in Ohio on 2010 Best Lawyers in America® list
- Vorys Attorneys Named on 2009 Best Lawyers in America List
- Vorys named the "2008 Leading Ohio Law Firm" by Best Lawyers
- Litigation Basics Seminar
- Litigation Basics 2011
- Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview and Outlook
- Litigation Basics