Health care and long term support services
Child health and financing
Services for individuals with disabilities
Medicaid policy and reimbursement issues
Health home, care coordination
Medicaid services providers
State and federal health care policy
- Case Western Reserve University, M.B.A., 1984
- Case Western Reserve University Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, M.S.N., 1982
- University of Rochester, B.S., 1978
Maureen is president of Vorys Health Care Advisors LLC (VHCA). VHCA helps health care providers, business decision makers, professional associations and other stakeholders deal with the challenges of a complex, rapidly changing state and federal health care environment.
VHCA has expertise in health care, services for children, behavioral health care, developmental disabilities, aging and community-based services, and numerous areas of Medicaid financing.
- Health care, services for children, behavioral health care, developmental disabilities, aging and community-based services
- Managed care, health home and other care coordination strategies. Models of accountable care organizations
- Medicaid policy, reimbursement and associated provider tax issues
- Home health, hospice and palliative care providers, FQHCs, hospitals and health care operations, and long-term care facilities and ICF-MRs
- EPSDT and issues associated with services to and the financing of children’s health care
- State and federal health care policy, with emphasis on transformational reform strategies
- System change and organizational behavior in a dynamic health care policy environment
- Health information technology, quality measurement and provider responsibilities associated with the use of technology
Prior to joining Vorys Health Care Advisors, Maureen directed all policy and program initiatives for the state of Ohio’s Medicaid program. As deputy director of the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services, Maureen was responsible for case management and managed care services, nursing homes and other institutional services, home and community-based waivers, and all reimbursement-related activities. She also had supervisory responsibility for all benefit design, eligibility and health plan policies.
Maureen's work involved regular interaction with members of the Ohio General Assembly, the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, other state agencies with services in this area, and numerous stakeholder organizations within Ohio and beyond its borders. She participated actively in a number of interagency initiatives, with a special interest in children and individuals with disabilities.
Maureen provided leadership and assistance with BEACON (Best Evidence for Advancing Childhealth in Ohio Now), a nationally recognized public-private partnership designed to transform agency practices and improve the quality of child health services. Recognized for her passion and problem-solving abilities, Maureen served as the state’s Interim Medicaid Director in 2010.
Prior to joining the Department of Job and Family Services in the Spring of 2008, Maureen was the president of governmental and legislative affairs for the Ohio Provider Resource Association. Her responsibilities included strategic communication and governmental relations with emphasis on issues relevant to providers of services for individuals with developmental disabilities.
For a period of 14 years beginning in 1984, Maureen held several state government positions.
Initially, she headed the Office of Budget and Cost Containment Policy in the Department of Health. Later, as executive assistant to Governor Richard Celeste, she was the state’s chief human services policy advisor. Maureen also served as assistant director of the Ohio Department of Mental Health, at the pleasure of Governor George V. Voinovich, where she was instrumental in Ohio’s nationally recognized mental health systems reforms.
During her years of public service, and as an advocate for improved services for individuals with a variety of disabilities, Maureen provided active leadership in the development and execution of 14 state biennial budgets.
Maureen holds an MBA from Case Western University, with a concentration in finance and health care; and a Masters Degree in Nursing from Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve, where she also served as a clinical faculty member. She worked as an assistant director of nursing at University Hospitals of Cleveland and nursing supervisor at Mt. Sinai Hospital. She holds her undergraduate degree from the University of Rochester.
Maureen is not licensed to practice law in any state and does not provide legal services.
Honors & Awards
- ANCOR Legacy Award, 2016
- 10/3/2016A proposed initiated statute to change state prescription drug purchasing in Ohio would be difficult if not impossible to implement, according to a new report issued by Ohio public health policy experts.
- 5/3/2016Maureen Corcoran, president of Vorys Health Care Advisors LLC, was one of the recipients of the 2016 American Network of Community Options and Resources Legacy Award.
- 11/25/2014Corcoran, Saneholtz Quoted in Part B News Story Titled “Steep Medicaid Rate Cuts Loom over Practices in Most States as Federal Funds Set to Expire”Maureen Corcoran, president of Vorys Health Care Advisors (VHCA), and Daphne Saneholtz, a senior advisor with VHCA, were quoted in a Part B News story titled “Steep Medicaid Rate Cuts Loom over Practices in Most States as Federal Funds Set to Expire.”
- 10/21/2014Corcoran Participates in WVXU’s Cincinnati Edition Discussion on Upcoming Affordable Care Act Enrollment PeriodMaureen Corcoran, the president of Vorys Health Care Advisors, was a guest on WVXU’s Cincinnati Edition.
- 7/24/2014Maureen Corcoran, the president of Vorys Health Care Advisors, was interviewed by 610 WTVN’s Joel Riley about two recent circuit court decisions related to the Affordable Care Act subsidies.
- 5/16/2014Maureen Corcoran, the president of Vorys Health Care Advisors, was included on Columbus Business First’s “20 People to Know in Health Care” list. According to the paper, individuals on the list are “front and center” in the health care industry.
- 9/18/2013Vorys Health Care Advisors and Truven Health Analytics Co-Author SAMHSA’s “Medicaid Handbook: Interface with Behavioral Health Services”Maureen Corcoran, president of Vorys Health Care Advisors (VHCA), and Daphne Saneholtz, senior advisor with VHCA, partnered with John Easterday, Ph.D. and Truven Health Analytics to author a Medicaid handbook for the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- 4/19/2013Maureen Corcoran, president of Vorys Health Care Advisors, was quoted in a WCPO Digital story titled “Primer: What Medicaid expansion could mean in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana.”
- 2/8/2013Maureen Corcoran, president of Vorys Health Care Advisors, was quoted in two Columbus Business First stories about Ohio’s proposed Medicaid expansion.
- 2/5/2013Maureen Corcoran, president of Vorys Health Care Advisors, was quoted in a Dayton Daily News story entitled “Kasich expands Medicaid under Obamacare.”
- 1/28/2013Maureen Corcoran, president of Vorys Health Care Advisors, was quoted in two Newspaper Network of Central Ohio stories about the possible expansion of the Ohio Medicaid program.
- 7/30/2012Maureen Corcoran, president of Vorys Health Care Advisors, was quoted in a Columbus Dispatch story titled “State’s poorest could be left without health insurance if Medicaid expansion is rejected.”
- 5/3/2012Maureen Corcoran, president of Vorys Health Care Advisors, was quoted in a Cincinnati Enquirer story titled “Big changes coming at Ohio Medicaid.” The story outlined Ohio’s plan to change Medicaid services by streamlining the system.
- 3/14/2012Maureen Corcoran, president of Vorys Health Care Advisors, was quoted in a Cincinnati Enquirer story titled “Ohio getting older.”
- 2/27/2012Maureen Corcoran, president of Vorys Health Care Advisors, was quoted in a Columbus Dispatch story titled “Sickest unsettled by state’s plans to change long-term care.”
- 1/24/2012Vorys Health Care Advisors, a wholly owned subsidiary of Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease, launched a new blog that explores some of the most serious challenges facing health care providers, business decision makers, professional associations and other stakeholders in today’s complex, rapidly changing state and federal health care landscape.
- 4/15/2016Vorys Partner Suzanne Scrutton and Vorys Health Care Advisors President Maureen Corcoran participated in a panel at the Institute on Medicare and Medicaid Payment Issues hosted by the American Health Lawyers Association on April 15, 2016.
- 8/31/2015Vorys Health Care Advisors President Maureen Corcoran was a speaker at the program Beyond Mental Health and Addiction Parity: Are Ohioans Getting the Services They Need?
- 7/16/2015Vorys Partner Suzanne Scrutton and Vorys Health Care Advisors President Maureen Corcoran presented a webinar titled “CMS Regulations Regarding Managed Care” on July 16, 2015.
- 10/21/2014Vorys Health Care Advisors professionals, Maureen Corcoran and Daphne Saneholtz, along with Vorys attorneys Suzanne Scrutton and Robin Canowitz presented at the 2014 OPRA Fall Conference on October 21, 2014.
- 5/19/2014Vorys partner Suzanne Scrutton and Maureen Corcoran, president of Vorys Health Care Advisors will be presenting at the Ohio Assisted Living Association Spring Conference on May 19, 2014.
- 5/15/2014Vorys partner Suzanne Scrutton and Maureen Corcoran, president of Vorys Health Care Advisors, presented at the Long-Term Care Conference on May 14, 2014.
- 10/2/2013Vorys partner Suzanne Scrutton and members of Vorys Health Care Advisors’ Maureen Corcoran and Daphne Saneholtz presented at the Ohio Provider Resource Association Annual Fall Conference on October 8, 2013.
- 7/25/2013Maureen Corcoran and Daphne Saneholtz of Vorys Health Care Advisors; Tom Niehaus of Vorys Advisors; and Karen Cincione of Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP presented an overview of the health care/Medicaid-related highlights of the 2014-2015 Ohio operating budget in the webinar, 2014-2015 Ohio Budget Wrap-Up, on July 25, 2013.
- 2/21/2013Vorys Health Care Advisors professionals, Maureen Corcoran and Daphne Saneholtz, along with Vorys attorneys Suzanne Scrutton and Karen Cincione, presented How the Governor’s Executive Budget Impacts Providers on February 21.
- 11/5/2012Vorys partner Suzanne Scrutton, along with Maureen Corcoran and Daphne Saneholtz of Vorys Health Care Advisors, spoke at the Ohio Assisted Living Association Fall Conference on November 5, 2012.
- 9/25/2012Vorys partner Suzanne Scrutton, along with Maureen Corcoran and Daphne Saneholtz of Vorys Health Care Advisors, spoke at the 2012 Ohio Provider Resource Association Fall Conference on September 25, 2012.
- 7/2/2012Vorys hosted a teleseminar addressing a number of critical questions surrounding the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision on the Affordable Care Act. Listen to a recording of the event.
- 2/16/2012This seminar addressed the Governor's Office of Health Transformation (OHT) initiatives.
- 6/18/2015Health Care Alert: New Proposed CMS Rules Relative to Medicaid Managed Care May Increase Access to Medicaid Behavioral Health ServicesRecently, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) published proposed rules relative to Medicaid Managed Care Organizations (MCOs) that may increase access to Medicaid behavioral health services through Medicaid managed care programs.
- 7/23/2014Two federal appeals courts ruled yesterday on a key provision of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) – and reached opposite conclusions. At issue is the component of the ACA that allows individuals who earn between 100% – 400% of the federal poverty level (FPL), or $11,670 and $46,680 for an individual, to be eligible to receive a subsidy to purchase insurance in a Health Insurance Marketplace
- 3/27/2014Health Care Alert: The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Issues Home and Community-Based Settings ToolkitOn March 20, 2014, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) posted a “Transition Plan Toolkit” to assist states in developing their Home and Community-Based Settings (HCBS) 1915(c) waiver and section 1915(i) state plan amendment or renewal application(s) so that they comply with new requirements in the HCBS Final Rule, released earlier this year.
- July 2012Lead, Follow or ?: The Changing Health Care Landscape and Potential Future Opportunities for Assisted Living ProvidersMaureen Corcoran and Daphne Saneholtz, with Vorys Health Care Advisors, authored an article for the July 2012 edition of the Ohio Assisted Living Association’s Newsletter. The article focused on the changing health care environment and potential future opportunities for assisted living providers.