Labor and Employment
- Employment Litigation
Employment Relations, Policies, and Regulatory Practice
- Covenants Not to Compete and Trade Secrets
- Drug and Alcohol Policies and Testing
- Employee Discipline and Termination
- Employment Counseling
- Employment Policies and Manuals
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Management Training
- Wage and Hour/Fair Labor Standards Act
- Whistleblower Protection
- Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act ("WARN")
- Workplace Harassment, Including Sexual Harassment
- Workplace Technology Policies
- Labor/Management Relations
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., 1994, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Albion College, B.A., 1990, summa cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- Virginia (inactive)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- The Honorable Jackson L. Kiser, Chief Judge of the Western District of Virginia, 1994-1995
Mr. Cary is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the labor and employment group. He represents management in a broad range of labor and employment matters, including advising employers on union elections and unfair labor practice proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) and the Ohio State Employment Relations Board (SERB), negotiating union contracts, and defending labor contract arbitration proceedings. He also counsels employers on compliance with, and defends employers in litigation arising out of, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Title VII, Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and similar state laws.
Career highlights include:
- Negotiating union contracts in the manufacturing, retail, and health care sectors
- Providing labor contract interpretation advice and arbitration representation for a large acute care hospital
- Counseling employers in many industries regarding union organizing activity or election campaigns
- Advising developers, expanding businesses and political subdivisions regarding Ohio prevailing wage requirements, including those applicable to public/private partnerships
- Defending a Fortune 500 company in a multi-plaintiff race discrimination and racial harassment lawsuit in federal court
- Defending a mid-sized employer in a multi-plaintiff age discrimination claim in federal court arising from a reduction-in-force
- Defending an employer in a lawsuit brought by the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission alleging racial discrimination and racial harassment against multiple individuals
- Defending numerous single plaintiff employment discrimination claims
- Prosecuting and defending lawsuits regarding covenants not to compete and trade secrets
Mr. Cary is a member of the Ohio Bar Association, the District of Columbia Bar, and is an associate member of the Virginia Bar Association. Mr. Cary is also active in the Columbus Bar Association.
Mr. Cary has spoken at numerous seminars on many topics, including updates on activity at the National Labor Relations Board, complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the employment-at-will doctrine, employment agreements, managing difficult employees, and enforcing disciplinary action. He also has conducted training on union avoidance and positive employee relations, avoiding sexual harassment and other unlawful harassment, and conducting internal investigations.
Mr. Cary is the editor of the blog Vorys on Labor. The blog focuses on traditional labor issues of interest to labor professionals in both the public and private sector.
Mr. Cary received his J.D. summa cum laude from Washington and Lee University School of Law where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. He received his B.A. summa cum laude from Albion College.
Mr. Cary clerked for the Honorable Jackson L. Kiser, Chief Judge of the Western District of Virginia.
Mr. Cary serves on the Advisory Board of the Columbus Chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO). He is also a member of The Breathing Association Board of Trustees and serves a member of the Board's Executive Committee. Mr. Cary recently received the 2012 Carrie Nelson Black Award in recognition of his service to the Association.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law – Management, 2013-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law – Management, 2013-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Labor & Employment, 2013-2014
- Carrie Nelson Black Award, The Breathing Association, 2012
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 8/2/2013Nelson Cary, a partner in the Columbus office and a member of the labor and employment group, interviewed with Colin O'Keefe of LXBN about the U.S. Senate’s confirmation of five National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) members.
- 4/16/2013Vorys partner Nelson Cary interviewed with Colin O'Keefe of LXBN regarding the three new National Labor Relations Board appointees.
- 1/28/2013Nelson D. Cary, a partner in the labor and employment group in the Vorys Columbus office, was quoted in a National Law Journal story about a ruling from a federal appeals court in Washington that declared President Obama’s recesses appointments of National Labor Relations Board members unconstitutional.
- 11/19/2012Nelson Cary, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was quoted in a National Law Journal story titled “Agencies gear up for Obama's second term.”
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 4/6/2012Nelson Cary, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was quoted in a Columbus Business First story entitled “Labor board has attorneys working overtime to keep up with rulings.”
- 3/2/2012Nelson Cary, a partner in the firm’s Columbus office, was quoted in a Bloomberg BNA Human Resources Report story titled “Attorneys Advise Reconsidering Social Media Policies Based on NLRB Counsel’s Report.”
- 1/17/2012Nelson Cary, a partner in the firm’s Columbus office, was quoted in a Washington Times story titled “Union fight pits rights of free speech, private land.”
- 12/6/2013Vorys partner Nelson Cary will be speaking at the Employment Law Update on December 6, 2013 and he will be presenting The NLRB and You: An Update on Developments for All Employers.
- 10/30/2013Join Vorys attorneys Nelson Cary and Robin Canowitz for a discussion on recent key labor and employment law developments.
- 3/18/2013Vorys partner Nelson Cary and senior attorney Robin Canowitz spoke at the Health Care Law Committee Meeting hosted by the Columbus Bar Association on March 18, 2013. Their presentation was titled, Labor Law Issues of Interest to Health Care Employers.
- 10/26/2012Vorys partner Nelson Cary discussed the following in an October 26 webinar, presented by Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP.
- 3/13/2012Vorys partners Al Kinzer, Nelson Cary and Mark Knueve spoke at the Employers Resource Association’s Employment Law Update and Review on March 13.
- October 2005
- April 2005