- Duquesne University School of Law, J.D., 2007
- Ashland University, M.B.A., 2011, summa cum laude
- Grove City College, B.S., 2004, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
James (“Jay”) A. Carr II is an associate in the Columbus office and a member of the energy, finance and real estate group. His practice and experience span several areas, including oil and gas transactional matters, title review and due diligence, and litigation. He routinely prepares original title opinions and division order title opinions as well as assignments, amendments and ratifications, and releases of oil and gas leases for producers. He also litigates, or assists others in litigating, claims involving breach of an oil and gas lease, wrongful payment of royalties, and title to leasehold properties.
Jay received his B.S. cum laude in business management from Grove City College, his J.D. from Duquesne University, and his MBA summa cum laude from Ashland University. He is admitted to practice in the State Ohio, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the State of West Virginia as well as the United States District Courts for the Western District of Pennsylvania and Southern District of West Virginia.
Professional and Community Activities
- Columbus Bar Association, Member
- Columbus Bar Association Real Property Law Institute Planning Committee, Member, 2015 - Present
- Ohio State Bar Association, Real Property Law Section, Member
- Energy & Mineral Law Foundation, Member
- 5/23/2017Vorys attorneys Jay Carr and Michael Vennum will be speakers at the 38th Annual Energy & Mineral Law Foundation Institute on May 23, 2017.
- 3/17/2017Vorys attorneys Jay Carr and Jacinto Nunez were speakers at the Akron Bar Association's Estate Planning, Elderlaw and Probate Law Section meeting on March 17, 2017.
- 12/12/2016Vorys attorneys Ilya Batikov, James Carr and Greg Russell were speakers at the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act Special Institute on December 12, 2016.
- 12/8/2016Vorys attorney James Carr was a speaker at the Oil and Gas Title Law A-Z webinar hosted by the National Business Institute on December 8, 2016.
- 11/18/2016Vorys attorneys James Carr and Greg Russell were speakers at the 2016 Oil and Gas Update hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association on November 18, 2016.
- 12/9/2015Vorys attorneys Ilya Batikov and James Carr presented a seminar titled “Ultimate Guide to Oil and Gas Title Law” hosted by the National Business Institute on December 9-10, 2015.
- 12/3/2015Vorys attorneys Ilya Batikov, James Carr and Peter Lusenhop were speakers at the Ultimate Guide to Oil and Gas Title Law hosted by the National Business Institute on December 3-4, 2015.
- 6/12/2014Vorys attorneys James Carr and Ilya Batikov were speakers at the Oil, Gas and Mineral Land Titles Seminar on June 12, 2014.
- 3/22/2013James A. Carr presented "A Practitioner’s Approach to Resolving Oil & Gas Issues in Ohio" in in Columbus, Ohio on March 22, 2013. This presentation highlighted the statutory remedies available to cure common title defects associated with oil and gas production.
- 9/26/2016Oil and Gas Alert: How to Successfully Comply with the Abandonment Procedure under the 2006 Ohio Dormant Mineral Act in the Wake of Corban v. Chesapeake Exploration, L.L.C., et al.On September 15, 2016, many oil and gas producers and surface owners of Ohio properties awoke to problematic news: the Supreme Court of Ohio, in Corban v. Chesapeake Exploration, L.L.C., et al., Slip Opinion No. 2016-Ohio-5796, held that the 1989 version of the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act (R.C. § 5301.56) (1989 DMA) was not self-executing (i.e., did not automatically abandon and vest dormant mineral interests in the surface owner of the property by operation of law).
- 9/15/2016Oil and Gas Alert: Supreme Court of Ohio Issues Sweeping Decision Interpreting the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act - Holds That 1989 DMA is Not Self-ExecutingOn September 15, 2016, the Supreme Court of Ohio issued numerous decisions concerning the application of the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act.
- 6/18/2015Oil and Gas Alert: The Supreme Court of Ohio Publishes its First Decision Analyzing the Ohio Dormant Mineral ActOn June 18, 2015, the Supreme Court of Ohio issued its first decision analyzing one aspect of the much contested Ohio Dormant Mineral Act.