- Appellate Practice
- Business and Commercial
- Class Actions
- Corporate Takeovers and Changes of Control
- ERISA and Employee Benefits
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Professional Liability and Discipline
- Public Records and Open Meetings
- Securities, Shareholder Disputes, and Corporate Governance
- Trust and Estate Litigation
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 1974
University of Cincinnati Law Review, Case Note Editor, 1973-1974
- University of Exeter, England, 1973
- Ohio Wesleyan University, B.A., 1971, Pi Sigma Alpha
- University of Aberdeen, Scotland, 1969-1970
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- The Honorable Julius J. Hoffman, United States District Judge for the Northern District of Illinois, from 1974 to 1976
Mr. Buckley is a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the litigation group. He practices in the areas of business litigation, complex litigation, class actions and probate and fiduciary litigation.
Career highlights include:
- Serving as lead counsel in victorious trial defense of bank trustee
- Serving as successful lead counsel in a nationally reported jurisdictional port authority case
- Serving as co-lead counsel in successful defense to jury of multi-million dollar will contest
- Lead winning medical privacy case in Supreme Court of Ohio
- Defeating class certification in a pharmaceutical case and a frequently cited employment case
- Serving as counsel for a bank in a derivatives litigation case involving a large publicly traded company
- Serving as winning lead counsel in a landmark contract case for a large corporate client
- Obtaining defense verdicts in medical malpractice cases for a large national family planning organization
Mr. Buckley is a seasoned trial lawyer who frequently presents seminars on probate and fiduciary litigation, trial evidence and the use of expert witnesses. He recently presented at the 13th Annual ALI-ABA Representing Estate and Trust Beneficiaries and Fiduciaries Conference on lessons learned in fiduciary litigation. He is a long time faculty member of the National Institute of Trial Advocacy (NITA) and has presented trial demonstrations at the University of Michigan ICLE Advocacy Institute and trial skills workshops at the Michigan Institute of Continuing Legal Education.
Mr. Buckley is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association and the Cincinnati Bar Association.
Mr. Buckley received his J.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Law where he was the Case Note Editor of the University of Cincinnati Law Review. He received his B.A. from Ohio Wesleyan University where he was a member of Pi Sigma Alpha. Mr. Buckley also attended the University of Aberdeen, Scotland and the University of Exeter, U.K.
Mr. Buckley clerked for the Honorable Julius J. Hoffman, United States District Judge for the Northern District of Illinois.
Professional and Community Activities
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Courageous Advocacy Committee, Member, 2008-2012
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Special Problems in Administration of Justice Committee, Vice-chair, 2006; Chair, 2011-2013
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, Adjunct Professor in Trial Advocacy, 1995-2009
- Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati, Board of Trustees, 2008-present
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, Board of Visitors, 2001-present
- President's Advisory Council, Wilmington College, 2008-present
- Clinton County Bar Association, President, 1985-1986
- Wilmington College, Adjunct Professor in Constitutional History, 1979-1986
Honors & Awards
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow, 2000-present
- University of Cincinnati College of Law Distinguished Alumnus Award, 2013
- BTI Consulting Group, Superior Client Service, 2007
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Litigation: General Commercial, 2004-2014
- “Bet-the-Company” Lawyer of the Year, 2013
- American Board of Trial Advocates, 2005-present
- America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2004
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2004-2014
- Top 50 Super Lawyers in Cincinnati, 2014
- Top 100 Ohio Super Lawyers, 2004 & 2008
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2001-2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Personal Injury, 1995-1996 & 2007-2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, “Bet-the-Company” Litigation, 2007-2015
- Leading Lawyer in Business Litigation, Cincy Magazine, 2006-2014
- Adjunct Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, 2009
- Master of the Bench, Potter Stewart Inn of Court, 1996
- Fellow of the Ohio State Bar Foundation since 1987
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Top Rated Lawyer in Health Care, Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 5/23/2014Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2014 edition of Chambers USA.
- 2/3/2014Vorys is proud to announce nine attorneys from the Cincinnati office have been named “2014 Leading Lawyers” by Cincy Magazine.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 9/19/2013Daniel Buckley, a partner in the Cincinnati office and a member of the litigation group, was quoted in a Law360 story about a recent Hamilton County Court Of Common Pleas decision. According to the story, the judge ruled that Asbestos injury suits targeting The William Powell Co., a 150-year-old Cincinnati-based company, each trigger coverage under its policies with OneBeacon Insurance Co.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 6/10/2013Daniel Buckley, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the litigation group, was one of three individuals to receive the 2013 University of Cincinnati College of Law Distinguished Alumni Award. According to the College, the “Distinguished Alumni Award Recipients exemplify excellence and achievement in the individual's chosen field of practice or profession.”
- 5/24/2013Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2013 edition of Chambers USA. Chambers USA conducts in-depth research and ranks the leading firms and attorneys in an extensive range of practice areas throughout America.
- 2/1/2013Vorys announced that nine attorneys from the firm's Cincinnati office have been named “2013 Leading Lawyers” by Cincy Magazine. The Leading Lawyers survey is conducted annually by the magazine. Winners are nominated by colleagues outside their firm and chosen by a panel of their peers.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 6/7/2012Vorys announced that 35 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2012 edition of Chambers USA.
- 2/1/2012Vorys announced that nine attorneys from the firm's Cincinnati office have been named “2012 Leading Lawyers” by Cincy Magazine.
- 8/27/2014Vorys attorneys Beth Weinewuth and Dan Buckley will be presenting a Trust & Estates Litigation CLE hosted by the Warren County Bar Association on August 27, 2014.
- 8/27/2014On August 22, 2014, the Sixth District Court of Appeals affirmed on all counts a Williams County probate court’s September 2012 decision in favor of PNC Bank, National Association against successor trustee and beneficiaries’ various breach-of-fiduciary-duty claims. The decision in Newcomer v. National City Bank, (2014-Ohio-3619; 2007 Ohio App. LEXIS 6365 (Ohio App. 6th Dist.)) provides critical guidance for Ohio trustees on four key points of law.
- 7/9/2014Client Alert: Ohio Appellate Court Interprets OTC and UPOAA; Allows New Claim for Treble Damages by Vested BeneficiariesOn July 3, the Second District Court of Appeals issued an opinion in Cartwright v. Batner, 2014-Ohio-2995 (Ohio App. 2 Dist.), which interprets both the Ohio Trust Code and Ohio’s Uniform Power of Attorney Act, recognizes a new claim for treble damages by vested beneficiaries, and provides guidance on a variety of issues important to estate planners, fiduciaries, beneficiaries and those who represent them.
- March/April 2013Vorys attorneys Daniel Buckley, Lisa Babish Forbes, Elizabeth Weinewuth and Elizabeth Davis Conway authored an article for the Probate Law Journal of Ohio titled "Important Guidance for Ohio Trustees: Newcomber V. National City Bank."
- 1/22/2013A recent trial victory on behalf of a major banking client clarifies three key points of law in Ohio fiduciary litigation. In June 2012, a Vorys trial team led by Daniel J. Buckley and Lisa Babish Forbes defended a trustee in a five-day bench trial against numerous breach of fiduciary duty claims brought by successor trustees and beneficiaries.
- March/April 2011
- July 2008