Mr. Bridgman is a partner in the Vorys Columbus Office and leader of the health care group. The focus of Mr. Bridgman’s health care practice is on Medicaid policy, reimbursement, and compliance. He represents providers in the health care industry who derive a large portion of their revenues from the Medicaid program, trade associations and collaborations comprised of children’s hospitals formed for the purpose of reducing serious safety events in children’s hospitals, as well as behavioral health care providers and providers of services to the mentally and developmentally disabled. He also handles matters concerning certification and licensure and administrative proceedings involving the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services, the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities, the Ohio Department of Mental Health and the Ohio Department of Alcohol and Drug Addiction Services.
In addition, Mr. Bridgman represents hospitals, a wide array of health care providers and other employers in employment and labor litigation of all types, as well as in collective bargaining, and counsels employers with respect to compliance with all federal and state laws dealing with the employment relationship including, among others, the Fair Labor Standards Act (“FLSA”), Family Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”) Title VII, the Age Discrimination and Employment Act (“ADEA”), the Equal Pay Act, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) (as amended).
Mr. Bridgman also advises on employment contracts, covenants not to compete and trade secrets.
Career highlights include:
- Initiated and settled litigation on behalf of provider and trade association which has, and will result in fundamental changes in Medicaid administration and contract administration for providers of behavioral health care in Ohio
- Successfully represented a provider in a behavioral health care case of first impression in Ohio regarding appropriate contracting for behavioral health care services under State law
- Initiated successful litigation on behalf of providers of services to the mentally retarded and developmentally disabled challenging the right of county boards of MR/DD to require contracts as a condition of participation in Ohio’s Medicaid program
- Participated in the formation of provider collaborative and not-for-profit corporations devoted to the reduction and elimination of serious safety events in hospitals
- Significant experience in the negotiation of collective bargaining agreements in the health care industry as well as the manufacturing sector
Mr. Bridgman is a member of the American Bar Association, Health Law and Labor sections; American Health Law Association; National Association of College and University Attorneys; and the Columbus and Ohio State Bar Associations.
Mr. Bridgman received his J.D. from the Northwestern University School of Law and was a member of the Northwestern Law Review and served on its Editorial Board. He received his B.A. cum laude with honors in philosophy from Yale University.
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2013
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Health Care, 2012-2013
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Employment and Labor, 2004-2011
- Fellow of The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers since 2003
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2012-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management, 2012-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law, 1995–2011
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Labor and Employment, 2007-2009
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 126 Vorys Attorneys included in the 2013 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- Four Vorys Attorneys Quoted in News Stories About U.S. Supreme Court Affordable Care Act Decision
- 75 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2012 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- More than 100 Vorys Attorneys named on 2012 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- 72 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2011 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Vorys Partner to be Honored at Scout Reception on September 30
- Vorys Ranked #1 Law Firm in Ohio on 2011 Best Lawyers in America® list
- Bridgman featured in Columbus Business First Q&A Series
- 54 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2010 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Vorys ranked #1 law firm in Ohio on 2010 Best Lawyers in America® list
- 27 Vorys Attorneys Recognized in 2009 Chambers USA
- 70 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2009 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Smith and Bridgman quoted in The Daily Reporter article "Economy may be first concern for Obama, but labor-related issues follow close behind"
- Vorys Attorneys Named on 2009 Best Lawyers in America List
- 28 Vorys Attorneys Named Leading Practitioners in Ohio
- Vorys named the "2008 Leading Ohio Law Firm" by Best Lawyers
- 28 Vorys Attorneys Named Leading Lawyers for Business by Chambers USA